Can't reinstall my OS!

Reaction score
Hay there, I have a power Mac G5 tower and it was running on OSX Leopard, I needed to reboot the computer so I backed up my files and began to reboot but on getting to the reinstall screen and asking to selected a hard drive and log onto my Apple ID I keep getting this on my screen (see image). It says this every time, I still have the Leopard disk but it won't open the disk drive from this screen saying "This item is temporarily unavailable"? I'm not sure but it seems like my computer won't install the new OS? If I could just reinstall the old Leopard disk then I'd be happy, does anyone have any ideas, thanks.
fyC8UF

[1]: https://ibb.co/fyC8UF

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model of G5?
-Is the Leopard disc a retail copy or a gray OEM model-specific version?
-Do you have any third-party RAM installed?
-Have you tried an Open Firmware and NVRAM/PRAM reset?
-Your screenshot shows an attempt to install El Capitan from the App Store, which is not supported by the Power Mac G5.

C

Reaction score
hi,

I think it was produced in 2008 going by the date on the original hard drive? my leopard disc is a retail copy,
I have a couple of new memory sticks installed that are third part have had them couple of years (pictured) and yeah I thought that was probably the issue with El Capitan but I'd like to get it back onto Leopard if thats possible?

https://ibb.co/e94aTa

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You actually have an Intel Mac Pro, not a Power Mac G5.

If you enter your serial number at this link, it will give the specific model number.

Check Your Service and Support Coverage

One thing I noticed in your photo, is you have two different kinds of RAM installed:

2 x PC2-5300 (with the 435F sticker)
2 x PC2 -6400 (Kingston)

Mac Pro (MacPro1,1) and Mac Pro (8-core) (MacPro2,1) take PC2-5300
Mac Pro (Early 2008) (MacPro3,1) takes PC2-6400

The mismatched pairs could definitely cause the issue.

C

Reaction score
Hello i have same problem too
I bought macbook pro late 2009(secondhand) as i want to reset to default settings I erased the OS and then when it comes to re-install, it requires apple id and it appears "this item is temporarily unavailable"
What he best thing to do please..
thanks in advance.

Reaction score
OK, need some more important information.

1. What exact Mac OS are you using?

2. When you say "I erased the OS", what exactly did you do? Did you use Disk Utility to Erase and Format your internal drive?

3. Are you making backups to an external device? If you are, what software are you using?

4. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective?

Reaction score
Thanks honestone for the rply..

I think the OS I am using was "OS X YOSEMETE"

I erased the OS using Disk Utility to erased the the internal because i think i can download it again but unfortunately not,

Also beacause i think thats the way to reset this unit as a new user , this is a secondhand macbook pro late 2009..
I am beginner about macbook..
Please refer to photos for more informations.
Thanks.. please tell me what you want to know...thank you very much guys..

Attachments

• IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_1898.JPG
    IMG_1898.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 368
Reaction score
OK, need to know a couple of more things before we can proceed:

1. How exactly did you use Disk Utility? Did you boot the Macbook Pro from the Recovery HD partition and launched Disk Utility from there? Or, did you do it another way? It is critical that you describe exactly what you did.

2. It appears that you cannot boot up the Macbook Pro. If so, how are you making posts here? And if it is via another Mac, what exact Mac model is it?

Ask a Question