Can't Save To Desktop: Why ?

Reaction score
Hi,

Running Mojave.

Something changed, as up until perhaps a few months ago, I did not have this problem.
I do not think it happened when I switched to Mojave, but perhaps.

Anyway, I go to Google photos, open up some image, and do the conventional SAVE AS on the screen that comes up.
Give the photo a name
Tell it to save to Desktop.

No indication that it hasn't, until I look for it there.

Pretty straightforward except the photos, never now, seem to appear there, on the Desktop.

With a lot of searching, I can usually find them in my Home Folder.
Sometimes, they don't even seem to show in the Finder.

Can anyone please explain to me what is happening ?

At one point, I thought they were going Directly to iCloud, but I have just
totally signed out of anything having to do with iCloud.
OR, at least I think I am signed out for iCloud. Hope so.

And, please:

If I remember right, there used to be in System Preferences/General an option regarding
the default location for when you save a file or photo. You could then pick "Desktop".

Doesn't seem to be there anymore.
Does this it still exist ? Where is it now ? (thinking that this might be my problem, perhaps)

Thanks,
Bob

Reaction score
I am running the latext version of Mojave, V10.14.2, on both of my Macs. I don't use Google Photos, but I am not having any issues at all with saving files to the Desktop (or any other location, for that matter). And I use quite a lot of third party (ie, non-Apple) software. Also, never heard (nor seen) a System Preference setting that has a default location for saving files, and which applies to all applications. That choice is typically done within the application you are using.

Also, is Google Photos the only application you are having this issue with?

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, it's a problem saving to Desktop photos that I have
found on Google Photos/Images. Other items seem O.K.

It used to be fine to save to Desktop, but really looks like something has changed.
I do the Save To Desktop, but they just don't appear there (anymore).

I can usually find them in my Home Folder.

Is there a Default Folder, somewhere, for SAVE, or SAVE AS items ? (not from within an application)

Thanks for thoughts,
Bob

Reaction score
Again, I am certainly not aware of ANY default way of having a "default" folder to be used by ALL applications for saving files to.

This seems to be an issue with Google Photos. Again, you are not having this issue with any other application you use to save files with, correct?

By the way, prior to upgrading to Mohave, did you insure that all your third party applications are compatible with it? This site can help you with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Are you downloading the Google Photos from Google Photos via a browser - like Google Chrome or Safari?
-Or did you download a third-party Google Photos app from the App Store?
-Can you successfully download the photos to other folders in your Home folder - i.e. Documents, Download,
Pictures, etc.?
-If you navigate to your Home folder via Macintosh HD > Users > yourusername, can you see all seven standard folders listed - Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public?

C

Reaction score
Hi,

Photos appear via Browser.
I then do a Save As to Desktop.
Other items seem to work when copied to it.

Will try and get more facts put together on this, and try to isolate what is really
happening.

Everything I had before, except possibly this, seems to work on Mojave.

Best regards, and thanks for help.
Will try and get what is happening codified.

Bob

Reaction score
OK, just to be clear, if you use another application, say a Word Processing program, and you have a document within it, can you do a Save As to the desktop with that application?

Reaction score
OK, so it's only Google Photos you are having an issue with. I assume it worked when you were using a prior Mac OS (was that High Sierra by the way?).

Reaction score
Not sure if it makes much difference, but what browser are you using to access Google Photos? Maybe try another browser.

Reaction score
Hi,

Good thought.
No difference.

Seems most likely some "bug" in Google Photos.

Thanks,
Bob

Ask a Question