Can't get rid of the Yahoo search engine in Safari

Reaction score
Hi, this is driving me crazy. Safari suddenly started defaulting to the Yahoo search Engine instead of Google search, which I've always used. I found some instructions, but when I click on Safari extensions all I get is adds trying to sell me more apps in the mac app store. Can someone please tell me how to get rid of Yahoo Search once and for all and go back to Google? I'd be most appreciative,

Thanks, Bix
(e-mail address removed)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Good morning,

Sounds like you may have some malware. Try downloading and running Malwarebytes for Mac. You can run the free version as long as you like. The paid versions add a few things that aren't necessarily needed for most folks.

Let us know if that resolves the issue.

C

Reaction score
As usual, Cory comes to the rescue! In addition, after running Malwarebytes, it might be wise to download the excellent program ClamXAV, available from here:

https://www.clamxav.com/

It goes "deeper" than Malwarebytes. You can use the Free Trial for 30 days. I actually purchased it, but it is not running in the background. I do run it occasionally (about once a month or so) on both of my Macs.

By the way Bix, my ISP is also Comcast. But for TV services, I am "cutting the cord", so to speak. I will only have Internet and Landline phone services from them. Just sick and tired of them "gouging" me (sorry folks about the rant).

Last edited:

Ask a Question