Odd Blank Box Popped up on Desktop - Can't get rid of

Reaction score
This happens every once in a while. This stupid box pops up on my desk top. It looks like it might be a dialogue box, but it is blank. The only way I can get rid of it is to shut down different applications. I think it might be related to contacts. It happens rarely, but when it does it is annoying because I don't know why it happened and then I have to try to remember which application it is that I have to shut down. So I go through a few, finally get the right one and then forget about it until it accidentally pops up a month later or a few weeks later. Here is a picture of the box... Does anyone know where it is from, so I stop making it pop up. Is there a quick way to shut it down without shutting down an app?

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 6.19.16 PM.png

Ad

Advertisements

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Does it mainly happen in web browsers - i.e. Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc?

C

Reaction score
I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
It doesn't seem to be happening in any browser. I only use Safari and when I shut it down the image stays on my desk top. I think it may be related to the Mac Contacts app. But I don't know how to replicate it. Somehow I am "fat fingering" something once in a while and it just pops up. Very odd.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It still looks like a Safari pop-up window. I have seen that happen with a Safari window open, even with it in the background while using another application.

Do you have any Safari extensions installed?

C

Reaction score
I do not have any Safari extensions installed.

The other odd thing about that box is that it is in the foreground no matter what application I have on. It blocks the middles of my screen and I can't click on it or move it or anything. I think I quit Safari and it stilled stayed up, but I could be remembering wrong. If it is Safari, do you know what it is and how I accidentally made it appear? I could try to make it happen on purpose and see if that is it.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
It has never shown any text. It is always blank. I won't know if it fixes it for a while because it happens so periodically. But I will run the Malwarebytes. It certainly won't hurt to do that. Thanks.

Reaction score
I just ran the Malwarebytes and it says it did not find anything on my system. So I guess that is not it. Darn it.

Reaction score
No rush. It would just be good to know why it happens. I will let you know if it happens again.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Definitely let us know.

Just as a curiosity, does it seem to happen on the same websites and/or with Contacts open more often than not? Also, did you download and install Oracle Java by any chance?

C

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
NO pattern of web sites. It does seem like when contacts is open that it happens, but again, I could be wrong it has been a while since it happened. I did download and install the Oracle Java, I believe. I am pretty sure it is some fat finger thing that I do and somehow I accidentally trigger it. I just don't know what happens and I don't know what it is.

Ad

Advertisements

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Just make sure Java is up-to-date. I remember reading something about Java causing a similar issue, but don't remember where.

Keep us in the loop.

C

Ask a Question