odd network login - help!

Reaction score
OK, when I log in from one machine to another on my network, it's supposed to automatically try to log in as me, right?

I have four Macs. All have a "Dan" account. One is an iMac, and another a MBP. They have an unusual network relationship. When I'm logged in as "Dan" on the iMac, and I do Go>Network and select the MBP, I am automatically connected to the MBP as "(e-mail address removed)". I mean, seriously. The connection window says "Connected as: (e-mail address removed)". Now, that's kinda crappy, because with that connection, I have no access to the files in the account "Dan" on the MBP. I have to Disconnect, and sign on as "Dan".

So what I'm trying to understand is, where did this "(e-mail address removed)" login come from, and how to I convince my machines not to log in with it? Oh, when I'm going in the reverse direction, from the MPB to the iMac, it does the same thing. But when I go from either of those machines to any other machine on my network, I'm happily logged in as "Dan". I should say that none of my machines have an account called "(e-mail address removed)", so I'm not even quite sure how I can be connected by that name.

This is driving me nuts. What's going on? BTW, it just started doing this a month or two ago.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

First off, I am not sure how that login works at all, unless you have an account on your Macs that use that as their user name. Is that your Apple ID by any chance?

You should be able to delete that login in Keychain Access. There should be a network password listing for the affected Mac in the login keychain. Highlight it, then press the Delete key, then click Delete.

Let us know if that doesn't resolve it.

C

Reaction score
Thank you. First of all, yes, that user name IS my Apple ID.

When I go to Keychain Access/passwords and search for the name of my affected machine, I come up with five lines of "network password", all of which are the correct password for "Dan". I also come up with one line of "AppleShare password", which is the same, and two lines of "cotnvc-zero-conf" "application password" which is the same as those others. All seven entries list "account" as "Dan", with my password for that account. No entry points to (e-mail address removed).

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks. Since that is your Apple ID, that's what we should focus on.

-Which version of OS X on the Macs?
-Do you have Back to My Mac enabled?
-Do you have Keychain sync enabled in the iCloud preference pane?
-Since this started about a month ago, was it after a software update?

C

Reaction score
OS 10.11.6 on both machines.
Back to My Mac is NOT enabled. (The checkbox for that in iCloud preferences isn't checked.)
Not sure how to check for Keychain sync, but Keychain is not checked in the iCloud prefs window.
I don't believe this coincided with a software update.

Reaction score
Well, this is (perhaps) interesting. When I'm connected as "(e-mail address removed)", and I select "Share Screen", I am told that "Dan is currently using the display", and would I like to "Ask permission to view the display" or "Log in as yourself: 'administrator' " Huh? I'm not logged in as administrator. Why is it calling me administrator?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, I am still here. :) Sorry, life got in the way this week.

This is a strange issue indeed. Here are a few more things to check:
-  > System Preferences... > Sharing > Remote Login > Allow access for: - what users are listed there?
-  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups: Is the email address listed there, and/or is there more than one user setup?
- What happens if you open a Finder window and click on the MBP in the left pane in the Shared section, does it automatically login as the email address?

I will do a little more research to see if I can find an answer for you.

C

Reaction score
-  > System Preferences... > Sharing > Remote Login > Allow access for: - what users are listed there?

Just Administrator. That seems a bit odd, but again, I can log in properly to several other machines. Just not my MBP.

-  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups: Is the email address listed there, and/or is there more
more than one user setup?

That e-mail address is not listed there, but there are several users listed, including me.

- What happens if you open a Finder window and click on the MBP in the left pane in the Shared section, does it automatically login as the email address?

Same thing. I automatically log in as (e-mail address removed). Which again, is pretty odd, since there is no such account on either machine.

What is really odd is how I can be "Connected as" (e-mail address removed), when there is no such account on that machine.

Reaction score
I appreciate your help, Cory, but this problem isn't going away, and I've asked in many forums for some insight. I've only started to get some here.

Reaction score
OK, fixed.

I signed out of iCloud and deleted all the junk it thought I was saving (which I wasn't). Then logged back in. On both affected machines. Now when I'm logging in from one machine to the other it automatically logs me in as Dan.

Whew. That was a PIA.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...glad you got it fixed!

Figures it would be something as simple as that.

C

Ask a Question