Entourage startup problem - "Reset" windows settings - can't get rid of too many open

Reaction score
I have run into a problem that I have never before encountered.

A user had many mailbox windows open - the window one would get by double-clicking a mailbox icon (if that pref is enabled). When Entourage is started up, it re-spawns all those windows, at first quickly, slowing to a crawl by the time it reaches 452 (!!!).

Once the windows are open, the app is unresponsive, but not crashed. The CPU is going on full throttle, but I can still send a friendly quit command from Activity Monitor and it will comply. I can even right-click E's icon in the dock and switch to the window of my choosing.

I just can't close the windows. I have tried clicking the red buttons and using the keyboard shortcut to no avail.

He is running the latest Office 2004 on an iMac G5, with ample RAM and HD space. We have run basic troubleshooting (permissions, flush caches, remove preferences/folders/etc, restart). His MS Database is quite large (4.5 GB after rebuild), but i do not think this has any relevance.

I copied his database (ONLY!!) to a new user on the same computer, and to another computer - the same thing happens, so the setting must be stored in the DB itself. I opened the DB with E 2008, and the same thing happens.... only more slowly, and only 392 windows.

We can't access any critical information from his email. I am desperately trying to resolve this issue, and would appreciate any help... really!

Thank you in advance

Ask a Question