Why Can't I log in to......

Reaction score
Why can't I connect to www.ancestry.co.uk EVERY time ?

I use Safari as my main browser and I use Firefox as a second one, as I often need two going at once. Safari will only connect to this web site randomly.

One day Safari will connect me and another day it won't !!!!!!!! SO annoying. Firefox will connect me every time. I prefer using Safari, but this is driving me crazy.....it tries to connect, but just doesn't move any further. Another day, it will connect me.

Please can you tell me why this is ?

Reaction score
I can get to that site with Google Chrome without any issues. My wife and I will be in the UK by Friday (visiting our oldest son and his wife), and I can try it while we are there. I also just tried it with Safari (which I don't use), and it worked also without problems.

Reaction score
Yes, I can get it with Firefox, no probs. But as soon as I try with Safari, it won't work. Thing is, when doing my ancestry, I often need two pages open at the same time.

Safari only works on and off with this particular web site, otherwise I use it as my main browser all the time. I just can't understand why it won't connect to www.ancestry.co.uk .............

Hope you and your wife have a fantastic time with your family in England Honestone.

Reaction score
Thanks. Sorry you are having issues. Again, though, I don't use Safari. Also, can't you have 2 pages open at the same time when using Firefox? And do you have the latest version of Firefox? You can get it from here:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Yeah, looking forward to our visit. Actually, we are flying to Tenerife on December 31st, staying there till January 7th. Our son got a super villa, it's going to be in the high 60's to low 70's (20 to 22 degrees Centigrade), and gorgeous sunsets near 6:30 PM! We come back to Seattle on January 9th.

Reaction score
Thanks. Sorry you are having issues. Again, though, I don't use Safari. Also, can't you have 2 pages open at the same time when using Firefox? And do you have the latest version of Firefox? You can get it from here:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Yeah, looking forward to our visit. Actually, we are flying to Tenerife on December 31st, staying there till January 7th. Our son got a super villa, it's going to be in the high 60's to low 70's (20 to 22 degrees Centigrade), and gorgeous sunsets near 6:30 PM! We come back to Seattle on January 9th.

Yes, I can have two windows open at the same time (Safari and Firefox), but it's Safari that will still not open up www.ancestry.co.uk and I just don't know why. It is intermittent.....sometimes will and sometimes won't ! So I'm currently only using Firefox for that website. I love Safari for my desktop and it's my forst choice browser, but I can't understand why this is happening ?

Been to Tenerife and love it there......called "The Island of Eternal Spring" because of the lovely weather. A beautiful island and if this is your first visit then I'm sure you'll love it. Hope you have a fantastic time there with your wife and family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Do you happen to have the latest version of Safari, V12.0.2? This link describes that newest version:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15675/apple-safari

As for Tenerife, this will be our first visit to that island. We did visit Lanzarote back in March 2017, and it was nice there also. Excellent sea food, but the ocean was too cold for swimming. Looking forward to Tenerife.

Reaction score
Now in the UK, at our son's place, and that site works fine for me, whether I use Google Chrome or Safari.

Reaction score
Thanks SO much for your replies.....really appreciated.

Sadly, nothing worked for me and then I found a free Apple support web site and so contacted them. It took them about 40 minutes to talk me through some suggestions, but ultimately, it worked !

That's the "good news".....since then though, now when I now try to use FIREFOX all I get is GOOGLE !!!!!!

Reaction score
Still can't get rid of Google on my Firefox page when I open Firefox........grrrrrrr

Reaction score
Why can't I connect to www.ancestry.co.uk EVERY time ?

I use Safari as my main browser and I use Firefox as a second one, as I often need two going at once. Safari will only connect to this web site randomly.

One day Safari will connect me and another day it won't !!!!!!!! SO annoying. Firefox will connect me every time. I prefer using Safari, but this is driving me crazy.....it tries to connect, but just doesn't move any further. Another day, it will connect me.

Please can you tell me why this is ?
I use Safari extensively, and at the end of the day I clear out everything. With the Safari on, click on the Safari in the menu, upper left, and then click on the "clear history". When the menu drops down, clear history. That will give you a fresh start in the morning.

With Firefox, you should be able to select your default browser by using the Preferences.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello Cory.......I have my home page set to Google with Safari, which is what I want, so as soon as I click on Safari, Google comes up.

I also like to run the Firefox browser as well, but when I click on Firefox, it opens with Google (although it says in the top left corner that I've opened Firefox).

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If it shows Firefox in the upper left corner near the  in the menu bar, then Firefox is indeed running. Sounds like Google is the default home page.

This is what mine looks like, running Firefox with Google home page:

firefox_google.png

Try the steps in the link above to change the home page when Firefox opens.

C

Reaction score
If I follow the steps above Cory, will that "knock off" Safari and Google being my home page ? I want to keep Safari with Google as my first choice home page.........then, like I had before, Firefox as my back up page.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No, it will only set Google as the home page in Firefox. Safari has its own preferences where you can set Google as the home page for it. You can set a different home page in each web browser separately.

You set your default web browser in  > System Preferences... > General > Default web browser. Whatever web browser you choose there is the one that will load any clicked links in emails, etc.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Cory is exactly correct. Via  > System Preferences... > General > Default web browser, I have the Default web browser set to Google Chrome. Thus, when I click on any clicked link anywhere, Google Chrome starts right up.

Also, when you click on the Up-Down arrow next to  > System Preferences... > General > Default web browser, a list of web browsers on your machine should show up. Mine shows Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera (with of course Google Chrome already chosen as my choice).

Ask a Question