Full disk - now can't log in

Reaction score
Hi - my son has a separate account on my apple IMAC and I've been asking him for ages to delete all the videos he downloads. I now see that the disk is full and I can't log-in. Is there anything I can do?

If I boot from my back up it is saying the disk will be erased. Is this safe to do I have a lot of information that I really don't want to lose.

thanks in advance for any assistance.

Reaction score
Need to know a couple of things:

1. What exact iMac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you running?

3. What software are you using for your backups (I'm assuming to an external device)? A lot of folks use Time Machine, which comes delivered with the Mac OS. I myself much prefer SuperDuper!, as it makes a bootable backup/clone. And for situations like yours (or when I want to do a complete, clean installation of the Mac OS), such backups via SuperDuper! are ideal (Carbon Copy Cloner is a similar, excellent product to SuperDuper!). I notice you said "boot from my backup". You cannot boot your machine from a Time Machine backup, but you can from a backup done with either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Reaction score
IMAC 17. I think its Yosemite (I've upgraded a few times since purchase). I bought an external HD and use time machine. When I booted in recovery it gives me the option to restore.

Reaction score
OK, need to make some things clear, and then provide you with a process to get where you want to be. This will be somewhat long, but the detailed explanation is necessary.

1. First, can you boot the iMac up? And if you can, what can you do with it?

2. Secondly, assuming you can boot up the iMac, once it gets to the desktop, go to the Black Apple Icon/Symbol in the upper left hand corner, click on it, and select "About This Mac". The next screen you'll see will contain the Mac OS information (plus some other details).

3. I suspect you have done little, if any, disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective. Is that accurate? Also, you can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

4. Additionally, given that you have done OS "upgrades to newer" ones "in place", the stuff on your internal drive (no matter which account) most likely is not "lean and clean".

5. Just to get the terminology correct, you are not booting your Mac from the backup, with what you described above. You are booting your Mac from the (hidden) Recovery HD partition on your iMac (that's a small partition created by an installation (not upgrade) of the Mac OS). From that partition, you can do the following tasks:

1. Use Disk Utility to 1) check out/repair the internal drive on the iMac, and 2) do an Erase and Format of that drive.
2. Do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of the "applicable" Mac OS (I'll explain that below).
3. After that installation, you can then get to the Time Machine backup, and "migrate"/copy needed "stuff" from the backup to your iMac's drive.

In fact, those are the steps you need to follow (although it might be best to do one more Time Machine backup, just to make sure you have all your latest information).

Now, a couple of "caveats" when you do that:

A. Hopefully, Disk Utility will find no issues with the drive. If Disk Utility finds any serious issues (the software will tell you), you cannot proceed any further. Also, when you use Disk Utility to Erase and Format the drive, make sure you select the "top" (ie, Volume) level of the internal drive.

B. I am unsure as to what exact Mac OS would be installed via step 2 above. As it is, you will of course need an internet connection, and the "applicable" Mac OS will be selected from Apple's servers, and the installation will occur over the internet. That will not be a fast process (and of course dependent upon the speed of your internet connection). If it is Yosemite (V10.10.5), then you should be OK. But, if it is a later one, then you'll need to insure that whatever third party (ie, non-Apple) apps you use are compatible with that newer OS. That could entail needing to download needed updates.

C. Finally, when the OS installation completes, you will be offered, via Migration Assistant, the opportunity to "migrate"/copy needed "stuff" from your backup. I am just about certain that you can select your account only to do that copying, but I'm not 100% sure, as I only have one account on each of my Macs. (Note that this step will 1) copy everything from your account, including any unnecessary/redundant stuff (due to not doing disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs), and 2) result in NONE of your son's stuff on the drive.).

If you want to know a faster, "cleaner" and easier way to do all that, just let me know, and I can provide details as to how I use SuperDuper! (and some other things) to do the same process, in a much faster (and more controlled) fashion.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can't log-in from the main page. I have done maintenance ad hoc recently due to the message I kept getting.
When I logged into Recovery Mode I performed a Disk Utility check (repair) and all is good and released a small amount of space but not enough to enable me to log-in as normal. Thank you for the informative steps above I will endeavour to follow these instructions.

Reaction score
OK, so at least Disk Utility told you that the internal drive is fine.

Now, except for logging in from the main page (not sure what you mean by that?), what can you do with your machine? If you can't do anything, how are you making posts here?

Also, what do you mean by "ad hoc" maintenance? Also, is it true that prior to that, you had not done much (if any) disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs previously?

Reaction score
OK, so at least Disk Utility told you that the internal drive is fine.

Now, except for logging in from the main page (not sure what you mean by that?), what can you do with your machine? If you can't do anything, how are you making posts here?

Also, what do you mean by "ad hoc" maintenance? Also, is it true that prior to that, you had not done much (if any) disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs previously?

Reaction score
All sorted. Restored and i deleted my sons account which freed up nearly 50% space. I will now follow your clean up instructions- thank you very much.

Ask a Question