Saving to Word gets pop-up message that Mac HD disk is full

Reaction score
When I trying saving a document to Word in same manner as I always have, a pop up message comes up that the disk is full trying to write to Macintosh HD. The memory is only minimally full on the HD. It also says to free some space by closing some programs which I have done to no avail. It also says to save document to another disk?

Reaction score
Need some information:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What Mac OS are you using?

3. Are you making backups to an external device?

4. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective?

5. How much free space is on your hard drive?

6. What version of Word? Word 2008, Word 2011, or Word 2016?

7. Do you get the same message when the only program you have running is Word?

Reaction score
Need some information:

1. What exact Mac model do you have? OS X El Capitan

2. What Mac OS are you using? Version 10.11.6

3. Are you making backups to an external device? Yes, on Verbatim

4. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? No

5. How much free space is on your hard drive? Tons

6. What version of Word? Word 2008, Word 2011, or Word 2016? 2008 12.3.3

7. Do you get the same message when the only program you have running is Word?[/Yes but I think the problem is .doc instead of using .docx?]

Reaction score
When I asked about what exact Mac model, you gave me the Mac OS. You need to tell us the kind of Mac you have, ie, Mac Mini, Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro, or iMac. And it needs to be the exact Mac model. For example I have 2 Macs: a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air.

Also, the most recent version of Office 2008 (including Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) is V12.3.6. You can get it from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36897

Be aware that Microsoft no longer provides support for Office 2008.

Also, I saw this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ont-save/93db1e95-edca-4ffa-87fc-1d2070019447

Finally, not doing any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs is not good. Owning and maintaining a Mac is just liek owning and maintaining an automobile. Without proper maintenance, sooner or later problems will arise.

Reaction score
It is an iMac. I think you are correct, the Office 2008 is no longer supported so it is kicking me butt to tell me that. I am not sure how to do the maintenance just like a car, I can put gas in it and drive but don't ask me to fix the carburetor. I know, take it in for servicing. Thank you for your assistance and for helping clueless people like me learn a bit more each encounter!

Reaction score
I did try and help you, but your attitude is getting in the way!

Did those links help you? What about the answer to my question about your exact Mac mode? That is, what year model?

For most situations, there is no such thing as a "push only this button" answer.

For your car, do you know how to check the air in your tires? Also, what about changing fuses? Amazingly, a lot of useful self-maintenance information is contained in the manual that came with your car. If you don't have, or have lost, the manual, you can get guidance/answers on line.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Honestone,
I have a similar problem with Word although it seems that the file is still correct saved as I have some 90GB free space.
My device Macbook Pro 13" - Mid 2014
OS Sierria
Office for Mac with Word v15.32
I save the Word files on my dropbox folder on the HD.
HD has still 87GB free of space following Disk Utility.

Reaction score
First, you are about 6 versions of Office 2016/Word 2016 behind. V15.38 of Office 2016 (and all the apps it contains, including Word 2016) came out last week. You can get it from here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...542-9954-7e3209681a41?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

(By the way, if you wanted to upgrade to High Sierra, OS 10.13, you will need at least V15.35 of Office 2016).

Secondly, what version of Sierra are you running? The latest (and last one) is V10.12.6.

Third, have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You can actually do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own. And there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those efforts. I use Onyx (feee) and Tech Tool Pro (commercial) to keep my Macs running "lean, mean, and clean".

Fourth, are you making backups to an external device? That is so, so critical!

Ask a Question