Saving docs in Word for Mac

Reaction score
Using Word for Mac. I keep some blank forms, like contracts, in one folder and when I want to save them to a particular folder - depending on the nature of the contract say, I will click "Save as." The only options i get as to where to save are "recently used" folders. Can't figure out how to get to a folder that doesn't appear in that recently used list. How do I save to folders that I haven't used recently?

Reaction score
I stopped using Word 2016 a couple of months ago, but I suspect the dialogue is similar to the one in the Writer Document module in LIbreOffice. Below is screen shot of a document I opened, and then chose "Save as".

As you can see, there are 4 "titles" with that dialogue, and 3 of them have drop down menus. You should be able to click on the Up-Down drop down menu arrows to the right where it says "Where". When I do it, I get a number of choices, besides (of course) the original location.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 10.36.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 10.36.56 AM.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but I what I get when i click "save as"is a menu of 5 "recent places." One of those is a folder that has a sub-folder in it where I want to save the doc. But I don't get a drop down to the sub-folder. I suppose I could save the doc to desktop and then go back and open the sub-folder I want and then drag the file, but there has to be an easier way. But thanks again.

Reaction score
Could you upload a screen shot of what appears after you select "Save As"? To do that, when that dialogue box appears, press the keys Shift-Command-4. When you do that, a "cross hairs" will appear at (or near) the upper left hand corner of that dialogue. Drag it to the lower right of that screen shot, and release the mouse button. You will hear a click, and a file with a name of "Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 12.47.41 PM" (I just did it) will appear on your desktop. When you make a post here, just click on "Upload a File", and it will show you a list of files on the desktop. Just select that file, and it will appear at the end of your post.

Reaction score
So, to make sure I understand, the original blank contract was/is in that CONTRACTS folder, and you edited that file to create BARBER.HELEN.doc, and you want to save it to another folder. Is all that correct?

Do you know where that folder is? If so, is it in the Documents folder? If you, you can navigate to it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, that is all correct. Within the MEMORIALS folder (which is in DOCUMENTS) there is a folder named LETTERING which is where that doc belongs. But I can't get there. Likewise, if I write a personal letter, I have a folder for that in DOCUMENTS as well, but I can't save a letter to that, so I end up saving to the DOCUMENTS folder which is getting pretty disorganized. Problem is the SAVE AS menu won't let me get to the secondary or third level folders. It can't be designed that way, I just can't break the code.

Reaction score
OK, so the Documents folder is at the same "level" as the Applications, System, etc. folders. And yeah, even trying to "navigate" to that folder, via some of the choices available (and that make sense), it cannot be done. I do agree that there should be some way to "get inside" that Documents folder first, then select the Lettering folder, and then do the save.

I guess what you could do (although it also might get cluttered, depending on how many of those documents you generate) is to save it to your desktop, quit Word, and then "move" the file from the desktop to the Lettering folder. Not the cleanest way, but at least your Documents folder will not get cluttered. Of course, you'll need to do that "clean up" as quickly as possible, so to keep things "neat".

Reaction score
That works! You're the man, Spawn_Dooley!

As the old saying goes, "Learn something new every day".

Ask a Question