Saving Documents

Reaction score
Many times when I make a new document - word or Powerpoint - when I go to save it, after selecting the 'save as' under file, I type in the name of the new file, then i need to select WHERE to save it.

That is my problem

When I his the drop down arrow it gives me 3 places to save the document.
1. The first is 'Devices' and it gives me 4 choices (normally the name of my Macbook pro, Macintosh HD, or some remote disc, or memory stick , etc. Non of the palaces are where I WANT to save it.

2. The second place is called 'Favorites'. Again I there are several choices ( Down loads, Desktop- iCloud, Music, applications, Pictures, Movies - etc) AGAIN NOT ANY OF THE PLACES OFFERED IS WHERE I WANT TO SAVE IT.

3. The third place offered where I could save it is "Recent Places" and there are normally 5 folders from my documents that that are offered as a place to save -- AGAIN NOT THE PLACE WHERE I WANT TO SAVE IT.

I may have some setting wrong -- but I just cannot make it let me go to any place I might want to choose on my computer to save it and I cannot get out of these choices.

There is a online Location button at the bottom left of the save window - if I click that it changes to 'On my Mac'. --but this also have only a few choices -- none where I want to save the document

When on the "on my Mac' tab there is a new button called 'new folder'. If I click that it open a window that says connect a cloud service or SharePoint location to your account.: giving me 3 choices "one Drive', OneDrive for business' and Share Point.
Again NOT ANYWHERE I WANT TO SAVE THE DOCUMENT .

THANKS FOR ANY HELP

soper777

Reaction score
in the save as dialog box at the side of the box that contains the filename (???????.docx) is a small down arrow (v) click that and you will open a finder window,. Choose your save location from there.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Which version of Office - sounds like Office 2016)?
-Where are you trying to save to?
-You want to click the button that says On my Mac, so you can save it on your Mac.
-If you want to navigate through your Mac's drive, click the little down arrow to the right of the place you name the file. It will then expand the window to a standard Finder window.

exceltriangle.png

excelfinder.png

C

Ask a Question