Saving old version of Pages

Reaction score
I'm still using OS X 10.9.5 even though I've had several chances to get a free upgrade. My reason is that the first time I did this, the new system software over-rode my version of Pages (4.3) in favour of a supposed improved version that I hated. With some help at that time from official Mac support, I managed to retrieve the old version, which I'm happily still using. But now I'd like to upgrade the system. How can I retain my old Pages and do that? I don't think it's simply a question of saving it somewhere, because that's what I tried to do before, and the whole package was "improved." (If you can help, please assume idiocy on my part, since all I use my iMac for is word-processing, email, and internet shopping.) Thank you in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS are you going to upgrade to?
-Do you happen to have an iWork '09 Install Disc?
-Just installing a newer version of OS X/macOS shouldn't upgrade the Pages application, as that is handled via the App Store > Updates section, and you can choose not to apply that update unless the newer version of OS X/macOS doesn't support Pages 4.3. The iWork apps aren't actually part of OS X/macOS.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS are you going to upgrade to?
-Do you happen to have an iWork '09 Install Disc?
-Just installing a newer version of OS X/macOS shouldn't upgrade the Pages application, as that is handled via the App Store > Updates section, and you can choose not to apply that update unless the newer version of OS X/macOS doesn't support Pages 4.3. The iWork apps aren't actually part of OS X/macOS.

C
Thanks for this. I'm still using (I think!) Mountain Lion - which is what was there when I last thought to update to whatever came next - and which did automatically upgrade Pages 4.3. What does it take to "choose not to apply" any upgrade to Pages? When I last upgraded the entire OS, the option was simply download and install. And if 4.3 isn't supported by anything newer, I assume from what you write that I'm stuck with what I've got unless I go with the whole new Pages package. Looking at a Pages software update recently, (which of course I ignored) I was struck by the crashing irrelevance of the improvements for someone like myself (a writer) who just wants the best possible WP software without additional bells and whistles. I don't (I'm sure) have a disc for Pages 09 - that came with the computer. Incidentally, the reason I'm beginning to think that I need the upgraded OS, is the number of small things that don't work as well now as they should, making me suspect that I'm sadly getting rapidly outdated. (Nothing new there, then.)

Ask a Question