Stop TextEdit from asking about changes or autosaving

Reaction score
I often have two documents open in text edit, but they're not permanent. I'm writing, deleting, then writing something else in them constantly and have no need or wish to save either of them. I don't want them to be autosaving and what I really don't want is to have to keep going in and clicking like 4 different prompts just to tell it no I don't want to save the dang changes.

Is there any way I can completely disable this function? It would be one thing if it just gave the option of 'save or delete' on the first prompt but it then makes you go to review and only then you can delete. For having 2-4 blank documents open that starts getting annoying. I don't have much space on this Mac so I really don't want to be cluttering up my computer or iCloud on documents that essentially have nothing in them most of the time.

So is there any way to have it stop with this ridiculous saving situation or am I going to have to download a whole new application?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

No, you cannot disable that function. Maybe try the Stickies app?

C

Reaction score
Bah, that's stupid. The stickies app may work. I've taken to force closing TextEdit for now and it won't ask. I know it's not ideal but it's working. It's pretty dumb that it forces that functionality, but thanks for clearing up that there's no actual way to stop it.

Ask a Question