Stop Sierra upgrade reminder

Reaction score
My iMac El Cap system keeps popping a reminder about upgrading to Sierra. I don't want to upgrade to Sierra. How do I turn this notification off? Not clear there is a way to do that for system stuff in Notifications.

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll do that. Wow, what a silly thing to have to do.

Reaction score
You're welcome! Glad it worked out for you.

Somewhat "recently", Apple has been instituting some "anal" policies. Here are at least 3 which are really ridiculous:

1. One cannot download a new installer file for a Mac OS from the App Store if there is already such a file ANYWHERE on one's machine. And even if it's for a different Mac OS, same thing.

2. With High Sierra, one can no longer install the Mac OS on a Mac that is in Target Disk Mode. That one is especially galling, given that Target Disk Mode is an Apple product/concept.

3. Sierra not available at the App Store, even via the "Purchased" tab.

Reaction score
Well, it hasn't worked yet, but I'll get to it later today. I guess I won't know for a few days if it really does the job. But it certainly looks like it will.

Reaction score
Hope it does work. Or else we have another "anal" policy being instituted by Apple!

Reaction score
I guess what I find a little odd about this is that I have an identical iMac, also running El Cap, that has OSXNotification.bundle sitting in /Library/Bundles, but on that machine that annoying notification never, or rarely, appears.

So on that second iMac, whatever is telling the system to display that bundle is turned off. That is, the annoyance of having that notification show up isn't just a matter of it being there in the LIbrary.

Reaction score
OK, now that I've had it on the machine for a month, and it seemed to be working, with no repeated messages, now IT'S BACK. That "Upgrade to macOS High Sierra"" message is back popping up in the upper right corner of my screen. The OSX Notification bundle is long gone. But the problem is baaaack.

I press "Details" on the notification pane, and it disappears (without giving me details.) What a honking bother! Screw your head in, Apple!

Again, I have an identically outfitted iMac (El Cap) that this doesn't happen on. Something is set differently on this machine.

Reaction score
One cannot download a new installer file for a Mac OS from the App Store if there is already such a file ANYWHERE on one's machine. And even if it's for a different Mac OS,
How recent is that? I have installers for Mountain Lion, Mavericks, El Capitan and Sierra on my MBP. They are copies though.

Ask a Question