Ethernet connection has stopped working.

Reaction score
We had a heavy storm two days ago which fried our internet unit. Got a replacement today but the ethernet won't connect.
Iam am running High Sierra 10.13.6. I tried to put in the ip address manually, but no luck. Has anyone any ideas?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sounds like it might have affected the Ethernet port on your Mac as well, especially if it was connected when the router got damaged.

Do you have any other computers that you can connect the Ethernet cable from the router to to test? If they work, then it is probably a damaged Ethernet port on your Mac. If they don't, maybe it's the cable.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

Sounds like it might have affected the Ethernet port on your Mac as well, especially if it was connected when the router got damaged.

Do you have any other computers that you can connect the Ethernet cable from the router to to test? If they work, then it is probably a damaged Ethernet port on your Mac. If they don't, maybe it's the cable.

C
Thanks Cory, I tried another computer with a new cable. Still no joy. I assume that my iMac port is damaged, so in future I will have to use wireless.
Thanks again, Maureen

Reaction score
Did you try the new cable with your iMac? Since the new cable with the other Mac did not work, it is, most likely, an issue with the router.

Reaction score
Thanks Cory, I tried another computer with a new cable. Still no joy. I assume that my iMac port is damaged, so in future I will have to use wireless.
Thanks again, Maureen
Did you try the new cable with your iMac? Since the new cable with the other Mac did not work, it is, most likely, an issue with the router.
Yes I tried the new cable with iMac. No go. I have ordered an ethernet to usb adapter which I hope is as fast.
Trouble in this house, there are too many gadgets connected to wireless at any one time, which is why I want to use the ethernet.
Thanks for your help. Maureen

Reaction score
What about any of your neighbors? Are they having similar issues?

Also, did you try working with your ISP? Additionally, is the router "all in one", ie, functions as both a modem and a router? If not, and you just got another router (I assume from your ISP), what about replacing the modem?

Reaction score
What about any of your neighbors? Are they having similar issues?

Also, did you try working with your ISP? Additionally, is the router "all in one", ie, functions as both a modem and a router? If not, and you just got another router (I assume from your ISP), what about replacing the modem?
The router is an "all in one.". We live in France in what you Americans would call the boondocks. Our neighbours ar few and far between. It doesn't really matter as the adapter should arrive on tuesday. Until then I will use wifi.
If the adapter doesn't work I will be back asking for more help.
I suppose I could take the Mac in to be fixed, but the nearest place is 1 1/2 hours away and they willl keep it for weeks on end.

Reaction score
Given that you tried another ?working? Mac with a new cable, and using the new "all in one" from your ISP (I assume that is where you got it from), it does not sound like an issue with your machine. If that did work, then your machine could be suspect.

Not really sure what the adapter will do for you.

Reaction score
Given that you tried another ?working? Mac with a new cable, and using the new "all in one" from your ISP (I assume that is where you got it from), it does not sound like an issue with your machine. If that did work, then your machine could be suspect.

Not really sure what the adapter will do for you.
After all that messing around it seems obvious that the ethernet port on my iMac has been fried. It was a serious bout of lightening we had. The adapter bypasses the port and uses a usb port, all of which seem to be working fine. I will let you know after I receive it.

Reaction score
After all that messing around it seems obvious that the ethernet port on my iMac has been fried. It was a serious bout of lightening we had. The adapter bypasses the port and uses a usb port, all of which seem to be working fine. I will let you know after I receive it.

But you got the same result by using a working Mac (I assume its Ethernet port was fine), a new cable, and the new "all in one" router from your ISP. That is, using Ethernet still did not work with the Mac whose Ethernet port had not "fried" (at least according to your post above about that).

I guess it will be interesting to see if the adapter works. And just to confirm, try the adapter with the other Mac, and the new cable, and the new "all in one" router.

Reaction score
Hi, I am pleased to report that the adaptor is working fine, Obviously my ethernet port in my new mac has been fried. 35 Euros is not a bad price for a new connection.

Reaction score
Hi, I am pleased to report that the adaptor is working fine, Obviously my ethernet port in my new mac has been fried. 35 Euros is not a bad price for a new connection.

Sounds good. But what about the other Mac with the working Ethernet port?

Ask a Question