network ethernet connection

Reaction score
hi everyone, i have a emac powerpc g4 and im a currently a student. i have my mac conncted to the internet via a ethernet connection that runs straight into the wall. however only recently i havent ben able to connect to the internet. i have tried other commuters through the ethernet socket in the wall so it is definaltly not the ethernet connection or the socket in the wall that is causing the problem. i think that it is omething to do with my settings on the mac, however i havent changed them. the day before the problem started i had a message on my mac that said that my ip address was being controlled by another device (i think it said something like that anyway)

please ifa nyone can i help i will be most grateful

thanks again

neil

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

The network you are on is shared...each computer must have their own unique IP address (think of it like a postcode..zip code), somehow another computer on the network has got the same as yours.

You are going to need to go into the System prefences and let us know some settings so we can help further..first though what version of OS are you using?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks,

Go to System Preferences-->Network and click on the Ethernet Tab on the left...

Can you then either type out how it is set up, or do a Screen grab (command + shift + 3) and post the settings here...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for that, well your Mac is set up using DHCP...which is fine for your situation.

Try shutting down the Mac, wait for 5 mins, then reboot, then have a look in system preferences again...does the IP address change ?

Could there be more than 250ish users on the network at anyone time ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
i tried rebooting it and the ip address hasnt changed. also to answer youre question no there is no way there is more than 250 people using the network - i think there may be less than 100. a few of the students may be using a router on the network, would that make a difference

karazelle

Reaction score
If you go to System Preferences and find your ethernet connection, click once on it so its selected then click the cogwheel and choose "Disable service" or something (picking from memory), then wait 5-6 min and go to the cogwheel and enable. See if it helps.

Other possibilities: someone on the network has fixed IP and using the same IP you automatically recieve. You might try to go to the TCP/IP tab and try to click the "Renew IP lease" button...

Routers should not matter in itself.

Reaction score
sorry mate i tried both of those things and i still wont work, however my ip address have changed now

Reaction score
hi guys i just wanted to say thanks - im not sure which thing that i did worked but my internet is working now. im finally connected back to the world.

cheers guys

neil

Ask a Question