Linking eMac to Home network?

Reaction score
I've been given an old eMac. Works very well, and I want to use it as a back up computer, putting it in a shed. So I need to link it in to my home network. I'd like to do this with a USB network adapter, and would be grateful for suggestions. The Mac is a G4 /1.42 from 2005, so it's got a USB 2.0as well as FireWire ports.

My broadband provider is Virgin Media, and though the shed is at the bottom of the garden, the signal is good enough for my iPad to work well there.

Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini of similar vintage and have been using ethernet to connect to the internet and home network as I have been unable to get a wireless dongle to work on it.
I think your machine should be able to have an AirPort extreme card fitted to it, if you can track one down, possibly on ebay.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like an eMac (2005) model from your description. It would use the Apple M8881LL/A AirPort Extreme Card.

I also recommend going with an actual Apple AirPort Extreme Card, as the USB Wi-Fi dongles can be very finicky and most aren't compatible. Depending on your current Wi-Fi router setup, you may be able to add an AirPort Express to connect to your network, then attach the iMac via Ethernet to it. But, that really only works if you have an Apple AirPort Express/Extreme as your main wireless router. Apple Wi-Fi devices don't normally play nice with third-party routers/network devices.

C

Reaction score
I downloaded a manual for the eMac, and an AirPort Extreme card sounds like it might be the answer - I've tried with various dongles and got nowhere. But what Cory said about routers sounds a bit awkward. I'm happy enough with my existing Virgin Superhub, and I don't fancy changing that.

Anybody out there had any experience with a Superhub and an Apple AirPort Extreme card? I might get hold of one and cross my fingers that I can get it to work. What's the problem? After all, my Apple iPad works fine with the Virgin Superhub.

Reaction score
I have an Airport Time Capsule which is a router and HDD which works faultlessly with my Virgin superhub.

Reaction score
Looking at page about the M8881 card I saw it says "Range of up to 50 feet at 54 Mbps and up to 150 feet at 11 Mbps". Does that indicate there'd be problems if I'm further away than that from the router?

I'm puzzled by what you say Lufrabrunner about having a router that works with the super hub. I've never had two routers going at the same time.

Reaction score
I can either have 2 wifi networks or use the router to extend the range of the superhub.

Reaction score
Success! I found the Airport Extreme Card that Cory Cooper identified on eBay for only £5 (in dollars),and it turned up today. I installed it, with the online manual instructions and a YouTube video to guide me, and after a little fiddling about, with the help of the eMac, connected it to my home WiFi.

Thanks to everyone who posted here. It's a great little machine.

Ask a Question