Blinking Wi Fi

Reaction score
I have ATT Wi-Fi as my internet connection. What is happening when the Wi-Fi light is blinking wildly? Most of the time it is not on at all. I am thinking that the blinking is information being transferred either to my computer or from it. Is this correct?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Do you mean blinking on the cable modem itself? If so, yes, that is activity.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

Do you mean blinking on the cable modem itself? If so, yes, that is activity.

C

Yes, its is on the ATT modem. What kind of activity would be happening when I am just viewing a page on the internet and not typing anything into one of the message boards?

As an example, I am typing into this message board right now, and it is not on or blinking.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It should randomly blink, as it is continually keeping the connection alive. It will blink very rapidly when loading a web page, streaming audio/video, or downloading a file.

It really depends on what brand/model you cable modem is and which light(s) are blinking.

C

Reaction score
It should randomly blink, as it is continually keeping the connection alive. It will blink very rapidly when loading a web page, streaming audio/video, or downloading a file.

It really depends on what brand/model you cable modem is and which light(s) are blinking.

C
It's the WiFi light. Now and then it would blink a couple of times, and then be off for awhile, regardless whether I am online or not. I never notice it blinking wildly when I am offline, just while I am online.

I was wondering if, when it just blinks a couple of times, somebody is surfing through WiFi's, looking for one that they can use to get online. Also, when it is blinking wildly, if someone is using my WiFi, or transferring information to or from my computer.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If you have a secure Wi-Fi network with a good password, there isn't anything to worry about. The light will flash every now and then when you aren't using it. It is simply showing that your devices are maintaining a connection - computers, mobile devices, audio/video streaming devices, etc. When you are actively using the Internet, it will blink far more, showing the communication between you and the Internet via Wi-Fi. Background processes like automatic software updates will cause it to blink more rapidly even when you aren't using it. Yes, people do scan for wireless networks, but you have to be within 100' of a home Wi-Fi network to use it, depending on the building's construction and type of router being used.

Does that help?

C

Reaction score
I live in an apartment complex, and there are probably 5 other units within 100' of my WiFi. The WiFi light is not blinking at all now, nor is it on, and I have been online for about an hour now. I turn off the WiFi when I am not using it by selecting the avatar and then selecting turn off, then turn it back on again when I want online.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If you have a secure Wi-Fi password, you should be in good shape. The same goes If you turn off Wi-Fi on your Mac when you are not using it, which is basically the same if your Mac goes to sleep or is powered off when not in use.

Since you have neighbors that are close, some of the blinking could be their computers simply scanning for other networks, which is normal and the way it works, but not necessarily anyone trying to hack or break-in to your network. I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Wouldn't scanning be just a couple of blinks and then stop? The rapid blinking occurs continually for maybe half hour.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It could, but not necessarily.

Like I stated previously, if you have a secure password for your Wi-Fi, and you turn it off when not in use, you should be safe. My network activity lights blink at different rates all day long - on all of my routers, access points, switches, and my cable modem.

You will drive yourself crazy if you watch those lights continually! ;)

C

Reaction score
I have two Macs connected to the same WiFi system. Right now, using the old Mac, as I am writing this, the WiFi light is not on at all. If I turned the WiFi off with this old Mac, and shut down, and then turned on the new Mac, and turned on the WiFi with it, the WiFi light would start blinking rapidly, continually. I have been informed that the blinking light is data activity, being transferred to or from my computer. If this is so, then I am concerned that my new computer is either downloading, or uploading, files, to somewhere, without my consent.

Reaction score
Since ATT charges for data usage, suppose some hacker is using your WiFi to move data?

Ask a Question