Ethernet connection fail

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a funny problem that I did not think was possible before today. I am living in a residency and each room is connected to the internet via a LAN cable. And everyone has a Username and password afterwards to log in. So I am a Macbook Air user and borrowed a freidnds USB ethernet connector in the beginning to register and use the internet. I gave it back to him and he registered with the same thing. Now I bought my own one. The internet connection works, but the log in not. Same for him. So we can both just log in with the cable that we originally used to log in. And we kind of share it now but that is really annoying... So my question is: Did the connection cable actually changed something. It seems so, since my and his inernet will only work with exactly that device. And now: Is there any way to reset this without having to reset the whole log in. The residency is probably not up to that. So we are kind of lost. Can anyone help?? Thank you soooo much in advance. Really!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

They may have some form of MAC address filtering turned on, which is why only certain devices can connect to the LAN. You may have to get them to add the MAC address of your adapter cable to allow you to login. Sounds like this is the case as you both can login using your friend's adapter.

C

P.S. Can you delete your duplicate post in the Networking forum for me? Thanks.

Ask a Question