Saving message help needed

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time here. I have been using MS word on my MacBook Pro and today started to get the following message:
"Word is unable to save the AutoRecover file in the location you have specified. Make sure that you have specified a valid location for AutoRecover files in Preferences, and that you have permission to write files to the location you specified."
I've never had an issue with saving anything, and the file I am working with is pretty simple, nothing fancy. Can anyone help me to understand the message and what I should be doing to insure my files are properly saved? Thanks in advance!!

I went back to my files after posting this and got this message prior to the above message showing up again:

You cannot save while the file is in use by another process. Try saving the file with a new name. (AutoRecovery save of Inquiry Exemplar S…)

I have not seen any indication of an auto-recovery happening.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What version of OS X?
-What version of Microsoft Office/Word?

Once we have that information, we can provide some suggestions.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What version of OS X?

C
Hi Cory
Thank you for your response. I was able to look through other threads and actually find a solution to my problem. As of EOD yesterday it seemed to be resolved. Glad to have found this forum for the future.
Thanks again!
Jill

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries, glad you got it working.

It may be helpful to others in the future if you would post what fixed the issue, if you have the time.

Be well,

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What version of OS X?

C
Hi, this is my first time here. I have been using MS word on my MacBook Pro and today started to get the following message:
"Word is unable to save the AutoRecover file in the location you have specified. Make sure that you have specified a valid location for AutoRecover files in Preferences, and that you have permission to write files to the location you specified."
I've never had an issue with saving anything, and the file I am working with is pretty simple, nothing fancy. Can anyone help me to understand the message and what I should be doing to insure my files are properly saved? Thanks in advance!!

I went back to my files after posting this and got this message prior to the above message showing up again:

You cannot save while the file is in use by another process. Try saving the file with a new name. (AutoRecovery save of Inquiry Exemplar S…)

I have not seen any indication of an auto-recovery happening.

Update: in looking through some of the other info posted, I was able to resolve the issue. I made sure all the available updates were installed for MS Office. When that didn't work, further exploration and digging led me to a post that suggested I needed to direct Word where to save AutoRecover files. I found the place in Options where it told me how to do that (through Save) and as soon as that was done the messages stopped. I did have trouble finding the place where I could do this as the choice was not available under the Tools--Options menu as the post stated.

Reaction score
Cory, this morning I am getting the same messages!! I now wonder if it has something to do with the template I am working in as other writers using the same template on different machines, are seeing the same Auto Recovery panes appearing. Is that possible?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, it definitely could be the template. Is it a default template, or one that someone created?

C

Reaction score
Hi...my first time here, also. I am having the same problem that jsnider noted. Here are the hardware and software facts:
  • MacBook Air with OS X El Capitan, Version 10.11.6
  • Microsoft Word Version 15.29 (recently upgraded to this version)
And that's when the problem began--after this upgrade.

I've tried to find "Options" as jsnider noted, but don't see where in Word to locate that. I am completely stumped and frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Hi...my first time here, also. I am having the same problem that jsnider noted. Here are the hardware and software facts:
  • MacBook Air with OS X El Capitan, Version 10.11.6
  • Microsoft Word Version 15.29 (recently upgraded to this version)
And that's when the problem began--after this upgrade.

I've tried to find "Options" as jsnider noted, but don't see where in Word to locate that. I am completely stumped and frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi mhenton, I share your frustration. In the end my problem was with the template itself which seemed to be corrupt somehow. Once I re-created it and used my own version my problems went away. I went back to see if I could retrace my steps to find Options - but had no luck - I just remember it was NOT in a very intuitive place IMHO! Best of luck!

Ask a Question