Hard disk says it's full - it can't be!! Help!!

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro has been fine for 6 months, and then last night the hard disk was suddenly full up.
This is 100GB we're talking about - I only had a few movies and about 200 MP3, it's nothing, certainly not the 94GB it's saying. I can't work out why it's full. I used a disk sweeper to find out where the space was going, and it said I was only using 45GB anyway!!
So I deleted as much as I could, about 5 movies of 1GB I deleted, and instead of freeing up space it started going down, so now apparently I have 156MB left. Impossible. Everytime I delete something, nothing happens to this.
Please please help I've everything - I can't burn a disc or download a song or anything, and yet there's hardly anything on here! Why isn't it adding space as I delete?
Any ideas much appreciated, I'm going spare
Thanks

Reaction score
I'm assuming you've done the obvious like empty the trash after you delete the large files...? :p

Aside from that, caches and logs are often the cause of much invisible disk wastage. If you have an iPod, check that you don't have several Photo caches in your Pictures folder. They take up a lot of room.

The other thing is to download a free optimisation program like Ice Clean and use it to remove system caches for both root and user, run the Deep System Cleanup (remove ALL files). This is not harmful to your system and takes care of large files which can be created behind the scenes.

Hope that frees up some space for you.

J

Ask a Question