Help! I need to backup a hard drive that wont mount on disk utility

Reaction score
My mac hard drive has "failed", when i turn my laptop on it obiovusly not loading the operating system and it showing me only a few programs including terminal and disk utility (i'm sure some of you are familiar). The laptops hard drive is un-mountable on disk utility, i need to know how i can back up my entire hard drive (about 700 GB) onto an external hard drive

when i tried to repair it on disk utility it gave me a message saying it can't perform a repair and that i need to backup as soon as possible and re-format the hard drive.

as for permissions, disk utility doesn't have a raised button on the "repair permissions" so if this is an obstacle to backing up i might need to know how to fix that too

i have a new, fully compatible/formatted external with 1TB space. i have stupidly never backed up before but i don't use my laptop for work, still it would be sad to loose my pictures/films, writing and music. i don't have Time Machine activated

from my extensive reading today on other forums i guess i need to use terminal to backup? if so how? i am hesitant to even turn the laptop on until i know what to do in case it causes any more damage

would be grateful for any help

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try FireWire Target Disc Mode ... you need another compatible Mac, connect both with FireWire cable mounting your failed HD on the Desktop of the 2nd Mac. Then using a free program like Carbon Copy or SuperDuper you could clone the drive onto the 1TB ext drive, also connected to the 2nd Mac, creating a bootable copy of the failed Mac's internal HD. Ask away if you're not sure about anything ...

Read through this to get started ...

Ask a Question