Cant get out of target disk mode?? Really need help

Reaction score
So, my screen is currently showing a bouncing lightening bolt inside of a circle, as well as a battery at the bottom of the screen. Its a gray screen. I believe I may have pressed the T key and entered target disk mode. I should note that I'm not connected to any other computer. Anyway, I tried to hold down the power button, I tried pressing control-option-command-power, command-option-escape, command-option-p-r. Nothing is working.

The battery is almost dead. Should I just wait for the computer to die, plug it in and restart? How else can I get out of here..

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
First, how are you making posts here? Can you actually use your Mac that is in Target Disk Mode?

Next, this link talks about Target Disk Mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462

Given that you are not connected to any other machine, not sure how you could be in Target Disk Mode just by pressing down the T key. Even if that were possible, one would think that can only happen at start up, ie, holding down the T key while your Mac is starting up.

Here is a link that shows keyboard short cuts:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

Maybe try some of the ones where it says "Sleep, log out, and shut down shortcuts".

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try rebooting & when you hear the startup chime hold down Opt key, this will show you a boot screen with all bootable devices listed. You can use the mouse or the keyboard to select a device to boot into.

Reaction score
So, my screen is currently showing a bouncing lightening bolt inside of a circle, as well as a battery at the bottom of the screen. Its a gray screen. I believe I may have pressed the T key and entered target disk mode. I should note that I'm not connected to any other computer. Anyway, I tried to hold down the power button, I tried pressing control-option-command-power, command-option-escape, command-option-p-r. Nothing is working.

The battery is almost dead. Should I just wait for the computer to die, plug it in and restart? How else can I get out of here..

Thanks for the help

Did you figure it out?

Reaction score
Try rebooting & when you hear the startup chime hold down Opt key, this will show you a boot screen with all bootable devices listed. You can use the mouse or the keyboard to select a device to boot into.

I had the same problem with also no idea of how I ended up in target disk mode. Thank you so much, holding down tge Opt key while rebooting wored!!!

Reaction score

I had the same problem with also no idea of how I ended up in target disk mode. Thank you so much, holding down the Opt key while rebooting worked!!! Thanks!

Ask a Question