cant delete weird chrome extension?

Reaction score
not sure if this is the right place to put this but i hope someone can help! so im not sure how i go it (probably when my brother was downloading something on my computer) but i have the annoying playsearchnow.com thing on my chrome and i cant seem to delete it. it doesnt show up in downloads, applications or desktop and does not show up in chrome extensions either. everything ive read to delete it says to find it in extensions or downloads which seems obvious but it doesnt show up anywhere! its such an annoying program and half the time when you search something only ads come up. any help would be appreciated and i have a macbook pro if that makes a difference lol

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Quit Chrome then go to Finder. From the menu bar select Go ~> Go to Folder…
copy paste the following into the window that appears

~/Library/LaunchAgents

A window will open revealing the LaunchAgents folder. If you see the following files, delete them

com.Play Search Now.agent
com.Software-Updater.agent

If these files aren't there, take a note of what is & let us know.
Return to Finder & the Go ~> Go to Folder... prompt & copy/paste the following

/Library/LaunchAgents

If you see the com.Play Search Now.agent & the com.Software-Updater.agent files then delete them
Repeating the above steps, go to

~/Library/Application Support

Delete those 2 files once again if they appear there if not take note of anything suspicious looking.
Open your Applications folder & look for any sub-folders with the following names & delete them

Play Search Now
MediaDownloader
Software-Updater

If you find you cannot delete any file because it is locked, then launch Activity Monitor (Applications ~> Utilities), select the process that matches the one that is locked & press Force Quit. Try to empty the Trash.

Reboot your computer & check whether the issue is resolved.

Reaction score
Quit Chrome then go to Finder. From the menu bar select Go ~> Go to Folder…
copy paste the following into the window that appears

~/Library/LaunchAgents

A window will open revealing the LaunchAgents folder. If you see the following files, delete them

com.Play Search Now.agent
com.Software-Updater.agent

If these files aren't there, take a note of what is & let us know.
Return to Finder & the Go ~> Go to Folder... prompt & copy/paste the following

/Library/LaunchAgents

If you see the com.Play Search Now.agent & the com.Software-Updater.agent files then delete them
Repeating the above steps, go to

~/Library/Application Support

Delete those 2 files once again if they appear there if not take note of anything suspicious looking.
Open your Applications folder & look for any sub-folders with the following names & delete them

Play Search Now
MediaDownloader
Software-Updater

If you find you cannot delete any file because it is locked, then launch Activity Monitor (Applications ~> Utilities), select the process that matches the one that is locked & press Force Quit. Try to empty the Trash.

Reboot your computer & check whether the issue is resolved.

thanks for the response! none of the files you mentioned showed up when i looked in finder. i did restart the computer and hoped something would happen but it didn't, its like it doesn't exist anywhere on my computer but wont go away

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What Mac OS version?

Also check this location

/Library/LaunchDaemons
In Google Chrome preferences have you tried restoring your home page & search engine?

Reaction score
What Mac OS version?

Also check this location

/Library/LaunchDaemons
In Google Chrome preferences have you tried restoring your home page & search engine?
nothing weird in there either. but now it only shows up if i quit chrome and re open it so idk

Ask a Question