Cant Delete Files

Reaction score
i copied a few files over from my mates laptop (PC) onto my external hardrive and put them into a folder.

i then copied all these fiels out and put them onto another hard drive.

i now cant delete the files on the 1st hard drive!! i tried forced delete but its not helping it just crashes my mac. litterally the screen goes all funny and an error message pops up saying hold down the power and the restart.

ive tried applications such as "trash it ! " but to no avail. it gave me an error message saying "security api failure error - 60008"

i then looked closely at the files and saw that quite a few of them have little silver padlocks on the bottom left of their thumb nail ???

ive tried the get info to change security permissons . but im not allowed it just says read only .

please help me .. i have 8 mb left on my hard drive because of this ...

btw im running an old i mac with snow leopard

Reaction score
I'd copy the non corrupt files files off the drive and reformat it, using Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

Reaction score
I'd copy the non corrupt files files off the drive and reformat it, using Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

cheers for the advice. i didnt try it out yet but i will when i find a harddrive big enough for the uncorrupted files ..

i do feel that i should mention however that i have found a temporary solution.
i plugged the HD into the laptop which i copied the files from and was able to delete the corrupted files..

the hard drive is corrupted and wont allow me to write onto it .. but that should be fixed through the method mentioned above .

cheers

Ask a Question