I need upgrade help, Please !

Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini 3.1 manufactured early 2009. OSX 10.6.8. Are there any OS upgrades for this mac so I can run the later versions of Safari and other newer versions of software? It is not compatible with this 10.6.8 with upgrades beyond Safari 5.1.10. This OS is a bit outdated. Any upgrade help or suggestion would be appreciated. I love this computer. Surely it's upgadable.
Thanks

Patman

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi, you can upgrade your Mac Mini to El Capitan (10.11) which is the end of the road I'm afraid. You will at least be able to run a more recent version of Safari but I'm not sure if your Mac Mini will receive Security Updates. It's possible but I can't verify this. Maybe someone else will know this info.

*This system can run the last version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion", OS X 10.9 "Mavericks", and OS X 10.10 "Yosemite", as well as OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" if at least 2 GB of RAM is installed, although advanced features like AirDrop, AirPlay Mirroring, and Power Nap are not supported. It does support "OpenCL" and Grand Central Dispatch introduced with Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard," although it is not supported booting in 64-bit mode when running this version of the operating system. It is not capable of running macOS Sierra (10.12) or subsequent versions of the macOS at all.

Try the link below when you are ready to upgrade, let us know if it doesn't work. I tested it out & was taken to the download in the App Store. Once you download it then El Capitan will be available in the future if you open the App Store & click on "Purchased". Another thing you could do is when the download is completed & the installer launches automatically, you could quit it then open your Applications folder & make a copy of the installer to another location. Then launch the Installer & click continue and follow the onscreen instructions. I couldn't find a link for Mac OS X Yosemite.

How to download OS X El Capitan

It's extremely important to make a backup, whether you use Time Machine or use a 3rd party app like Super Duper etc, before you start the upgrade.

Anyway good luck & let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
Just to add a couple of things to Spawn_Dooley's excellent synopsis:

1. It would be best if you do make a copy of the "Install MacOS El Capitan" file in another location on your machine, and also on your backup. Even though the OS you download from the App Store should appear within your "Purchased" items, Apple has recently changed that, at least for the last 2 versions of the Mac OS. For example, I had previously downloaded both the High Sierra and Sierra full installers from the App store, but they still do not appear with my "Purchased" items.

2. Are you running any third party (ie, non-Apple) software? If you are, you'll need to insure that each app of compatible with whatever OS you are upgrading to. This could mean that you'll need to download updates for such software. This link can help you with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, you can upgrade your Mac Mini to El Capitan (10.11) which is the end of the road I'm afraid. You will at least be able to run a more recent version of Safari but I'm not sure if your Mac Mini will receive Security Updates. It's possible but I can't verify this. Maybe someone else will know this info.

Try the link below when you are ready to upgrade, let us know if it doesn't work. I tested it out & was taken to the download in the App Store. Once you download it then El Capitan will be available in the future if you open the App Store & click on "Purchased". Another thing you could do is when the download is completed & the installer launches automatically, you could quit it then open your Applications folder & make a copy of the installer to another location. Then launch the Installer & click continue and follow the onscreen instructions. I couldn't find a link for Mac OS X Yosemite.

How to download OS X El Capitan

It's extremely important to make a backup, whether you use Time Machine or use a 3rd party app like Super Duper etc, before you start the upgrade.

Anyway good luck & let us know how you get on.

Thanks, Spawn, for your help. I will follow your instructions and make a backup. You guys are great !

-Patrick

Just to add a couple of things to Spawn_Dooley's excellent synopsis:

1. It would be best if you do make a copy of the "Install MacOS El Capitan" file in another location on your machine, and also on your backup. Even though the OS you download from the App Store should appear within your "Purchased" items, Apple has recently changed that, at least for the last 2 versions of the Mac OS. For example, I had previously downloaded both the High Sierra and Sierra full installers from the App store, but they still do not appear with my "Purchased" items.

2. Are you running any third party (ie, non-Apple) software? If you are, you'll need to insure that each app of compatible with whatever OS you are upgrading to. This could mean that you'll need to download updates for such software. This link can help you with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

Honestone:
Thanks much for your help. I love this little Mac Mini. It's my entertainment system for the front room along with a 750 Watt Yamaha surround sound system and USB HDD with movies and mp3 music collection. I mostly use VLC Player. The Mini is getting old now and I may have to upgrade to a newer model soon. I will follow all your suggestions. thanks so much for all your help !

- Patman (Patrick)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
You're most welcome. It is so refreshing to be recognized for one's assistance. I really appreciate it. If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask. As you can see, there are a number of folks here that are more than willing to help.

Ask a Question