Startup Disk is Almost Full

Reaction score
So I have been getting his pop-up telling me my "Startup Disk is Almost Full" for months now. I finally decide to add some memory to my Mac OSX. I was at 4GB previously and am now at 8GB. Success?

No. I am still getting the message. I checked and the memory is installed correctly. Even searched for solutions on the web. Here is what I am seeing:

The Activity Monitor shows my System Memory available as 5.93 GB (give or take) with zero Page Outs. However the "About This Mac" window says I only have 898 MB free out of 499.25 GB. What gives? I cannot download any System Updates at all and am still getting the Startup Disk is almost full error message.

Any suggestions? I am not a "tech" guy but handy enough to troubleshoot and add memory to my computer etc...

Reaction score
Startup Disk is Almost Full
Has nothing to do with the RAM.

Thats like saying the Oil light came on so I filled the Petrol tank. They are both measured in Gallons.

You need to find out what files on your harddrive are taking up all the space and back them up and delete them.

"Startup Disk is Almost Full" this message is very important, you Mac will be running slow and it may crash and be unable to restart. I real pain to fix.

I recommend using GrandPerspective

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
An elderly mate of mine constantly refers to available internal HD space as Random Access Memory ... I've given up trying to explain.

Ask a Question