Disk Utility on startup

Reaction score
MAC OS X Utility on startup

My MBP Lion keeps going to the "Mac OSX Utilities" after I start up.

When my machine starts up, I'm given the multi-language Welcome message with the words "By using this software, you agree to the terms of the software license agreement etc etc". Then when I press next, I am immediately sent to Mac OSX Utilities, no dock, no desktop.

I have the options:
Restore from Time Machine Backup (I didn't back up)
Reinstall Mac OS X
Get Help Online
Disk Utility

I've tried repairing my disk with Disk Utilities with it and restarting. I've tried command+option+P+R. I tried holding 'Shift' upon startup and it gives me a circle with a slash (anti-ghost ghostbuster icon without the ghost) and redirects me to bootcamp.

None works. :(

I accessed my HD with bootcamp, and the files are viewable, and I could copy most of the important ones out. The thing is, I have a very big important folder, and I don't have any more space in my external hard drive.

I only wish to reinstall Lion if all hopes are lost. Any help?

Thank you!

Edit: I don't know if this helps, but my mac had a software update just 2 days ago. And from then on, the startup was slow, with the loading bar (indicating some installation or something I presume), and then today, Mac OS X Utilities on startup.

Reaction score
In the Dock, Hold down the mouse on the disk utility Icon until the menu popup, in Option uncheck open on startup.

Reaction score
In the Dock, Hold down the mouse on the disk utility Icon until the menu popup, in Option uncheck open on startup.

Thank you for replying!

When my machine starts up, I'm given the multi-language Welcome message with the words "By using this software, you agree to the terms of the software license agreement etc etc". Then when I press next, I am immediately sent to Mac OSX Utilities, no dock, no desktop. (Sorry, I might have made a mistake saying it was "Disk Utility" instead of Mac OS X Utilities)

I have the options:
Restore from Time Machine Backup (I didn't back up)
Reinstall Mac OS X
Get Help Online
Disk Utility

Edit, because I can't edit my original post anymore: If possible, I also want to ask for help on transferring my bookmarks from my browser(firefox) through bootcamp. :( Quite a few important links that I had saved on my browser. Thank you in advance.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You should be able to export the bookmarks and import them back in to the other browser.

Go to Bookmarks ~> Show All Bookmarks and in the toolbar there will be options to backup (export) or import bookmarks from another browser.

Reaction score
You should be able to export the bookmarks and import them back in to the other browser.

Go to Bookmarks ~> Show All Bookmarks and in the toolbar there will be options to backup (export) or import bookmarks from another browser.

Thank you for your reply.

I decided to bring my machine to a mac store, and they said I couldn't do anything about it and to just reinstall Lion.

I did just that, and surprisingly, my mac is back to normal now, which is to say that all my settings/folders/files were retained.

I guess everything went better than expected. Though I still never found out what caused this. O_O

Ask a Question