start up disk is full

Reaction score
I have been receiving the message "Your start up disk is full. Please delete files." I have deleted hundreds of photos downloads and documents. I still have the message! help!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of Mac OS X?
-How much free space does it say you have?
-Do you have a Gmail account setup in Apple Mail?

C

Reaction score
I have a new MacBook AIr. It is only 6 months old. I am on Yosemite. It doesnt say how much I ahve left. Where can I find that info.? I have gmail on my phone, but I don't believe it is on my computer. I have Outlook and Exchange for work.

thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Click on the Apple logo in the upper left, select About This Mac, then click on the Storage tab.

Let us know xx.xx GB free of xxx.xx GB and which category is taking up the largest block.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...thanks for the additional information.

Movies: Do you have a lot of movies purchased via iTunes? Depending on the quality setting (SD or HD) they can take up between 1.5 GB to over 5 GB each. You can safely delete them from iTunes and re-download them again at any time, since they were purchased. If you delete them from iTunes, make sure you confirm to send them to the Trash and empty to recover the disk space.

Other: These can be numerous things - email attachments, downloaded installers, documents, pictures/graphics, iPhone/iPad backups, etc. You can safely delete anything in your Downloads folder if you are sure you no longer need the files. Anything with a .dmg or .zip extension are normally downloaded software installers.

We would be glad to help you determine what is what, but definitely check out the movies in iTunes and the Movies folder as a starting place.

C

Reaction score
we don't have any movies accept the short clip videos we take with our phones. My daughter watches movies on Netflix on this computer, but I dont think they are stored anywhere. I will look for dmg or zip. This is what I can figure out. We don't use this computer for anything except directly on the internet, checking emails or uploading photos. I will keep looking. thanks for your help so far. I'll let you know what I find

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The movies you take with your phones can add up to take quite a lot of space. To see how large your Photos Library is:

1. Go to your Pictures folder
2. Hold the control key down and click on Photos Library
3. Select Get Info from the menu that pops up
4. Look at size

If it is 37+ GB, then that is where the movies are that we referenced earlier.

C

Ask a Question