Lost Safari & Quicktime Can't reinstall

Reaction score
Hi,
I believe I may have accidentally downloaded a Quicktime virus. Both Quicktime and Safari were wiped from my hard drive and replaced with text images. Neither opens and when I try to reinstall the software using Stuffit to expand the .dmg file I get a message a folder was specified when a file was required.
I'm frustrated. I'm able to download Firefox...obviously cuz I'm on the net and Stuffit itself downloaded but nada else.
Help por favor.
Jack
(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
QuickTime virus? I wouldn't worry too much about getting a virus on a Mac. Especially in the form of a QuickTime file that deletes applications. I'm not certain but it's a possibility that those so called "text images" could possibly be the Quicktime and Safari applications. It's not possible to know for certain without seeing them. I must admit that I've never seen application's icons change like that, however I have seen text, movie and music file's icons change. Have you tried repairing disk permissions?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You can download whichever version of Safari is compatible with your Mac here.

Or if you want the latest Beta release, click here.

You can download the latest QuickTime from the Apple website too.

Reaction score
hi
try to creat new user.. if the same problem is there it means you need to reinstall the system under "arcive and install ... keep the user and network setting.. but in case the problem finish with the new user you can copy your file from old user to the new user and after that delete the old one.. the problem should be with the old user...
what is the last action you did before this happen .. like ... did you install any software ? did you try to change or open any fil with "open with" optio and kep it as defolt?

Ask a Question