Lost the boot disk

Reaction score
I lost the boot disk. I was able to download the operating system and boot it off an external hard drive. I need to install an OS update, but I don't want to continue using the external... what would you suggest that I do?

Reaction score
What model is your Mac?
Do you have a back up of your disk contents?
it's a 21 in. IMac. Not sure of the year. Maybe 2009 or 2010? Purchased from a friend for my son, and it worked for about six months. One day I got the message. I knew I could boot it from a hard drive, so I downloaded the OS to that.

Reaction score
As Lufbraunner asked, do you have a backup? That is definitely needed in your situation.

If you do not have a backup, and you do not need from the machine, then there is a way out of this.

Additionally, how are you making posts here? Are you using another Mac?

Last edited:
Reaction score
As Lufbraunner asked, do you have a backup? That is definitely needed in your situation.

If you do not have a backup, and you do not need from the machine, then there is a way out of this.

Additionally, how are you making posts here? Are you using another Mac?

Yes, I can make a backup... I am at work on my Windows 10 machine. That is how I am posting.

Reaction score
Hi peeps99,

The year is extremely important as there was 3 operating systems released between 2008 and 2010, and you need the correct one for your iMac. click the little apple in the top left of the menu bar as my screen shot then choose about this Mac and it should give you the exact year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 21.20.56.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 21.20.56.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 286
Reaction score
Hi peeps99,

The year is extremely important as there was 3 operating systems released between 2008 and 2010, and you need the correct one for your iMac. click the little apple in the top left of the menu bar as my screen shot then choose about this Mac and it should give you the exact year.

Yes, he could do that, if he could boot up the machine. He saId he cannot. But he did say he can boot the OS from an external drive. Maybe he could find out that way.. Or maybe he could try and boot the machine from the (hidden) Recovery HD partition.

Reaction score
Yes, I can make a backup... I am at work on my Windows 10 machine. That is how I am posting.

Unfortunately, it will be difficult to use software to make a backup. Also, that backup will contain any "problematic" files/folders/settings, etc. currently on the machine.

How were you planning on doing the backup?

Also, oldscribe is correct. We need to know the exact iMac model it is.

Ask a Question