Lost BootCamp Partition

Reaction score
I recently added FileVault to my OSX 10.8 Partition of my 2011 MacBook Pro. It had a Windows 7 partition of 350gb. The Mac partition was 370gb. The bootcamp partition was selling fine till I activated FileVault. Then my partition disappeared, when I pressed alt at boot it was no longer there. I then used gptf in terminal to check the partition was still there. It said it was. But now it only took up 128gb. It seemed to delete unused data on the bootcamp partition. In disk utility it is named dsk04. I then used the gptf program to force boot into bootcamp. It then read disk error and to press ctrl alt delete (you can't do that on Mac keyboard) to restart. An HTPS reader said the files on the partition were corrupt.

So here is my question. Is all lost? Should I reformat the whole drive? Or is there a way to save the partition? All in all there should be a warning that FileVault will corrupt Bootcamp partitions.

Reaction score
So here is my question. Is all lost? Should I reformat the whole drive? Or is there a way to save the partition? All in all there should be a warning that FileVault will corrupt Bootcamp partitions.
Did you do a backup before activating file vault?

Reaction score
Did you do a backup before activating file vault?
I did backup my Mac partition, not my Bootcamp one. It's not the end of the world if I lose it though since I transferred the old Bootcamp backup to my main desktop and didn't touch the laptop one much again. But if you've got any suggestions that'd be great.

Ask a Question