Lost bookmarks in Safari

Reaction score
I have a macbook for school, OS 10.4.9 with Safari version 4.0.2. I was online last night, and at some point Safari got stuck and stopped responding. I told it to force quit. I can't remember whether I started it back up afterwards, or if I took it as a sign that I'd been on too long already.

Anyway, when I started it up this morning all my bookmarks had been reset to what they were when I purchased the computer. It also forgot that I had enabled tabbed browsing (and I assume that it's forgotten other preferences I had).

Any ideas as to what went wrong? I poked around a little this morning to see if there was an obvious solution, and I came across an option to "reset safari". I'm thinking that maybe that's what it did last night, without me telling it to.

Also, is there any way I can get my bookmarks back? It was only about 5 months worth, so it's not a huge deal...but enough to get me to waste an hour trying to figure it out this morning.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

It sounds as though the Safari preference file has possibly got corrupted and your Mac has made a new one, hence the changes...

Your Bookmarks are stored in a file here:

Users/yourUserName/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

You could try to import them from the Safari --> File menu-->import bookmarks

The reset safari doesn't get rid of bookmarks, just so you know.

Give that a go.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks! It didn't work, but at least now I know where the files are! Is there a way to back bookmarks up, so this doesn't happen again?

Ask a Question