Bad hard drive? Can't reinstall OS

Reaction score
Hi there,
All of a sudden my laptop started not always booting up and occasionally would give the blinking folder with a ?. I tried to reinstall the OS and the utility didn't see a disc as an option.

I then figured that the hard drive must be bad so I installed a new one that is basically brand new and have tried to install the OS from a USB and another mac in target disk mode but keep getting an error saying the MAC installation could not be completed.

Any advice as I'm ready to throw this our the window!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model Mac?
-Which version of OS X are you trying to install?
-Which brand/model replacement hard drive?
-Is the new hard drive seen by Disk Utility and has it been partitioned?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model Mac?
-Which version of OS X are you trying to install?
-Which brand/model replacement hard drive?
-Is the new hard drive seen by Disk Utility and has it been partitioned?

C
Thanks Mr. Cooper,
Its a MacBook Pro (13 inch) Purchased in July 2012

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB

I've tried to install both Mountain Lion ando Sierra.

Hard drive is a Seagate or Hitachi I believe. It's been formatted or erased but not partitioned as far as I know, as that partition is grayed out on disk utility which DOES see the drive.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-What are you using to attempt installation of the OS X versions?
-Can you take a screenshot or photo of the Disk Utility window and post it?
-Does the installation start, and then give the error after a period of time?
-Do you have third-party RAM installed, or is it the original Apple RAM that came in it?

C

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a friend with the same issue and the Apple have a quality program to this exactly model. Check what the Cory told you, but if necessary repair, call to Apple Care before to get informations about HD flex cable quality program.

Regards,

Reaction score
I'm using the internet recovery feature to install Mountain Lion and have tried a USB key with Sierra on it. I've attached the error message I get when using internet recovery. The installation runs for hours, many hours and then somewhere at the very end, judging by the progress bar, it then gives the error attached. I've tried it on both wired and wireless. I've also attached the installer log from the Failed Sierra install

As far as the RAM I believe it's the RAM that came with it, ( 2 sticks of 2 gig Micron)

As far as what you're saying Jim Waters, not quite sure what you are mean are you saying that Apple is aware of this issue and would still help even though the MacBook is far out of warranty? Is there a bad flex cable is that what you mean?

Thanks to both of you!

Attachments

• mac1.jpg
    mac1.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 373
  • mac2.jpg
    mac2.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 369
  • Installer Log 26-Sep-2016.txt
    175.8 KB · Views: 865
Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-How did you create the macOS Sierra installer on the USB flash drive?
-How long does it take to get to the error screen in mac1.jpg?
-It seems it may be losing the Internet connection somehow when performing the Internet Recovery installation.
-If you still can't get things installed, it may be wise to visit an Apple Store if you have one close by - they can run full diagnostics on the Mac, check for the flex cable issue that Jim Waters mentioned, and install OS X for you.

C

Reaction score
Hi Please replace the SATA HD cable. Looks like around $20 backs.
ITTECC HDD Hard Drive HD Cable For MacBook Pro Unibody 13" A1278 2012 MD101 821-1480-A

Reaction score
Hi there,
All of a sudden my laptop started not always booting up and occasionally would give the blinking folder with a ?. I tried to reinstall the OS and the utility didn't see a disc as an option.

I then figured that the hard drive must be bad so I installed a new one that is basically brand new and have tried to install the OS from a USB and another mac in target disk mode but keep getting an error saying the MAC installation could not be completed.

Any advice as I'm ready to throw this our the window!
I will offer you a slightly different take on the problem you present, which you may try if you desire (if not already done). You said you installed a new hard drive, and that would need to be formatted. If you did (or maybe you didn't) format the drive, the format must be HFS+ Extended Journaled. But this is not the end of the process. You must ALSO select GUID partition map when you reformat. In the absence of that partition scheme, the OS will not be bootable, though the drive will be accessible for storage etc. You might check the formatting of your new drive, and see how it is formatted. Good luck, and I hope this helps some.

Ask a Question