OS X - Snow Leopard / Can't install on my MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I hope you are doing well during holidays.

I'm new here, so let me introduce myself. My name is Fernando and I'm from Costa Rica. I have a new MacBook Pro (15-inch,2017) and an older MacBook Pro (15-inch, late 2011). I substitute my old MBP with the 2017 model because it fells down from my hand and I thought it was broken, for at least two years, I closet my old machine and for my fortune, yesterday cleaning my room I try to starts up and for my surprise it works, so the nostalgia knocks me and I though I can install Snow Leopard on it and play some old games (Power PC most of it) without worrying, so I downloaded a copy of SL (my old disk was lent to a teacher knowing I never will needs it in the future, what a mistake!), then when the USB bootable was made, I tried to ran it and for my surprise it stuck on Apple logo and doesn't work, I have been forced to install High Sierra (the most higher OS X compatible with my laptop).

So, my question is: How I can install properly Snow Leopard in my machine I used to have it, and know doesn't recognize it anymore! :(

Thanks in advice for any help that could solve my problem.

P.S. Forgive me if I do some grammar errors, I still learning English. :p

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, the new 2017 MBP only supports macOS 10.12.5 Sierra and later. There isn't any way to install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard directly on it.

You could possibly purchase and install Parallels Desktop and install Snow Leopard Server, not Snow Leopard, as a virtual machine. However, many of the old PowerPC games probably will either not run or run very slowly, and you would also have to purchase Snow Leopard Server.

Glad to have you with us.

C

P.S. Your English is actually very good!

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, the new 2017 MBP only supports macOS 10.12.5 Sierra and later. There isn't any way to install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard directly on it.

You could possibly purchase and install Parallels Desktop and install Snow Leopard Server, not Snow Leopard, as a virtual machine. However, many of the old PowerPC games probably will either not run or run very slowly, and you would also have to purchase Snow Leopard Server.

Glad to have you with us.

C

P.S. Your English is actually very good!

Thank you very much Cory, for you fast response. But what about my old MBP, it came with SL :( really there aren't anyway to install SL? :( it's a little bit sad. I have an idea, maybe if I burn a DVD using a copy I have already downloaded and try to boot it using a DVD instead of a USB could make a difference, right?

P.S. Thank you so much about my English, that means my English classes actually works :p

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

No, there isn't any way to install Snow Leopard on the 2017 Mac. The hardware is too new, and it only supports a minimum of 10.12.5 Sierra. Changing the installer media from USB to DVD won't make any difference, it's a limitation of the OS version versus the hardware.

Keep up the classes, as you are doing great!

C

Reaction score

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Correct...neither your 2017 or Late 2011 MBP will run Snow Leopard. But, if it is indeed an Early 2011, it will.

Thanks for the clarification/idea MightyGem,

C

Ask a Question