SOLVED Mac OS X Cannot Be Installed On This Computer - iMac (Mid-2010) Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have an 27" Mid-2010 iMac i5 2.8 with a 1TB HDD installed. The problem is, it has Snow Leopard installed and it doesn't have a recovery drive for me like OS X nowadays does to easily erase your HDD and reinstall Mac OS X. But with Snow Leopard, you were unable to do that until Mountain Lion. I have a Mountain Lion disk but it failed to install. I burned a Snow Leopard disk and it booted the installation menu upon restart but then said "Mac OS X Cannot be installed on this computer" and only let me "Restart" or "Back up from Time Machine." I was able to clear our my HDD using the disk utility feature on the menu while it was up but that's it. Nothing happens when I boot up now other than an empty flashing folder. I tried to use multiple bootable USB with Snow Leopard on it and it let's me select the USB then just stays stuck at an Apple Logo. I've tried different Snow Leopard DMG. I just honestly want to reinstall an operating system on it and update it to the latest software it is compatible with. I don't have the original Snow Leopard disk from Apple, I'm sure if it I did then everything would be fine right now. But who has those nowadays other than people selling on eBay. Trying to find a quick fix.

I'm so lost, in all my years of working with Apple. I've never been this stuck. Please help!

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I ended up trying a different bootable USB with Mac OS X Mountain Lion on it and it installed just fine. I think it was the USB

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Glad you got it correted, and thanks for letting us know the solution.

We're here if you need us,

C

Ask a Question