MacBook Pro cannot see external hard drive and usb

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am using a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.9.5.
I have a 1TB external hard drive formatted to FAT32 and a 64GB USB stick also formatted to FAT32.
When I plug either of them into the USB port, nothing happens.
They do not get automatically mounted, they do not appear in Disk Utility, when I open the Terminal, they are not listed when I type "diskutil list", and no new disks or any entries appear under /dev/

I have an iMac which has no problem mounting reading/writing both the USB stick and the hard drive, so they seem to be fine.

I considered it being a USB port issue, but I have a 8GB USB stick formatted to FAT32 which mounts on the MacBook with no issues.

Please help me find a way to resolve this.
Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Reaction score
Hi oldscribe,

I did an SMC reset by turning off the MacBook, holding shift + control + option + power key, and then releasing all of them (while the power adapter was plugged in). The adapter light changed from orange to green and then back to orange as a result.
I have never before done and SMC reset, so I am describing it here in case I have done it incorrectly.

However, there was no effect on the Mac's ability to recognize either the USB or the hard drive. All the symptoms remain the same as I described in my previous post.

Ask a Question