Cannot install Tiger on Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi.
I am new to Mac, so sorry if this should be more obvious, but I've searched high and low and cannot find a match to my problem out there.

I have an inherited Macbook Pro running 10.4.11 MacOS and I have the Grey MacBook Pro Mac OS X install Disc 1 and 2. I want to re-install the OS for security reasons (get rid of everything on this machine).

I put the DVD into the drive and boot up existing installed Mac OS from HDD. The OS see's the DVD and presents me with a window with it's contents and I can see several files including one to Install Mac OS X and Bundled Software. I click this and get a dialog for installing MacOS X and to click a "restart" button. (also when I put in the DVD, a virus checker starts scanning this DVD).

I hit the "reset" button and the system always reboots from the HDD and not the DVD. I've tried pressing the "C" button and even tried the option button and then selected boot from the DVD, but none of this seems to work.

I think I have the correct DVD (It says right on the disc it is for the MacBook Pro). I am reasonably savvy on the PC with these types of issues, but clueless on the Mac.

Does anyone know what might be going on here? Is it possible there is a firmware setting or other setting disallowing boot from DVD?

Thanks in advance.
-keith

Reaction score
Hi Keith
One trick you could try is to boot from the hard drive, insert the mac OS Install disk. once it has mounted go to "System Preferences" and click on startup disk you should be able to select either DVD or Hard drive

Reaction score
Thanks Teapot. Nice try, but that has the same result. It seems it continues to get set to boot from DVD and only boots from HDD. Arrrgg!

-keith

Ask a Question