Failed the installation of Windows 7 by Boot Camp and cannot repeat

Reaction score
I am using Macbook air 13 Inch mid 2013, system is Sierra 10.12.6.

I wanted to install windows 7 by Boot Camp , with the instructions in following link:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205016

But I have problem in step 15 of "Perform a new install of Windows 7"
  1. When you complete the assistant, your Mac restarts to the Windows installer. When you're asked where you want to install Windows, select the BOOTCAMP partition, then click Drive Options and format your Boot Camp partition.
I cannot do the formatting, and then I wrongly closed the application.

The computer then showed the error of no bootable device, and I have to restart my computer while pressing option key to enter the mac os.

Here is the problem, now I want to use the boot camp again, but the boot camp assistant cannot install or remove the windows. (see the attached Screen shot)
Another problem is the partition is still there, but I cannot manage it with the Disk Utility or Boot Camp assistant, now I lost 20GB for nothing.

Now I want to merge the partition, and repeat the installation with the boot camp again.
Can anyone tell me what can I do? Thanks so much.

Attachments

• Boot Camp Assistant.png
    Boot Camp Assistant.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 356
  • Disk Utility.png
    Disk Utility.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 313
Reaction score
If you have a (recent?) backup to an external device, you can get out of this mess. Do you have a backup?

Reaction score
If you can boot your Mac to the Mac (OS 10.12.6) partition, you could make a backup of that partition to an external device. Time Machine is OK, but either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner is better. If you use either of those, first download the latest Sierra Mac OS file (OS 10.12.6) from the app store.

A couple of more questions:

1. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs from a software perspective of your Mac (by the way, I also have a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air (and in fact am entering this on the machine now))? You actually can do quite a lot of disk cleanup your self, and there are some excellent tools available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

2. Do you have a more robust disk maintenance/repair program, like Tech Tool Pro or Disk Warrior? Disk Utility is OK, but either of those are better.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

As honestone eluded to, the first thing you should do is create a Time Machine or other backup of your Mac partition, so you don't lose any information. You may see some ways to manually remove the Boot Camp partition via the Terminal if you search with Google. However, do not attempt those steps until your backup your current data, as you can easily delete the Mac partition and lose everything.

C

Reaction score
Thanks all of the replies,
eventually I solve the problem by backing up with time machine and then clear the hard disk.
It is easier than I expected

Ask a Question