Force 2011 MacBook Pro 8,2 with failed AMD GPU to ALWAYS use Intel integrated GPU (EFI variable fix)

AMFinder

Reaction score
There were two possible solutions to fix a MacBook Pro 8,2 with failed AMD GPU :
1) Pay a sh!tload of money to Apple to replace a logic board, or buy it from eBay ---> very expensive and will also fail after some time
2) Either do BGA reballing ($50) or BGA reballing with AMD chip replacement ($35) to guarantee a success, less than $100 in any case

Any of these two solutions requires money... But now there is a third solution,
a purely software fix which you can do for FREE :
it is possible to completely disable a discrete GPU by a EFI variable, forcing it to use integrated only all the time (even while booting!) to make MBP usable again!
Here are the instructions
- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/force-2011-macbook-pro-8-2-with-failed-amd-gpu-to-always-use-intel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/

After this wonderful purely software fix, the failing discrete GPU is completely disabled
and you can't even enable it in gfxCardStatus

Ad

Advertisements

AMFinder

Reaction score
All the questions and comments regarding this thread - better to post to this MacRumors thread,
because I can't promise that I will be checking all the places of Internet where I spread this instruction

Ask a Question