Failed El Capitan Install now Unable to Boot

Reaction score
Hello, I tried updating my friend's Macbook pro to El Capitan using AppStore. After the restart procedure it failed and now it's in a loop. I tried to re-install osx using recovery mode but the drive is locked and do anything with it. The data is very important and we dont have a backup so formatting the drive is not an option. I'm in need of your expertise.

The error that occured during the installation. It's not english so It roughly says that "verifying or repairing the file system is failed"

14044903_10154481037484031_780033307_o.jpg

Reaction score
You could try booting your friends computer through another Mac via FireWire and recovering from there. Also, what do you mean the drive is locked in recovery mode? If there is a back-up, you should be able to reformat the Mac HD via disk utility while in recovery mode and then install whatever OS that came with your friends computer. Once the stock OS that came with computer is installed you can upgrade to OS X for free and use the back up to restore data.

Ask a Question