Cannot install Mac OS X 10.5

Reaction score
Dear all, any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I have an old macbook pro laptop (2006), model number A1211 that used to be running OS x 10.5.8. I have no installation discs etc, far too long ago even remember if I even had any in the first place.

Regardless, I wanted a fresh start with the machine, so I got hold of a 10.5 install disc (2 discs) and proceeded to use the erase facility in the disk utility to wipe the drive (it did warn me at this stage that it could not install mac os x on my machine). I promptly ignored it assuming it was due to current installation.

However, now I have the problem that it still refuses to install, it will boot from the disc, ask me for a language and then state that mac os x cannot be installed on this machine.

I am certain about the previous build before wiping (10.5.8) and also certain that the new discs are 10.5 (checked in options when booted from it).

I must be completely missing something?

Cheers.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Are the discs the Full Retail Version which have a black label with a large white X on them, if the discs have a grey label then they will not be compatible with your MBP as these type of discs are machine specific & could be the reason for the "cannot install Mac OS X on this machine" message.

If the discs are the correct Full Retail Version (large white X/black label) then did you follow this procedure?
  • Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
  • When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*
  • Click the Erase tab.
  • Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
  • Select your Mac OS X volume.
  • Highlight the drive, select Partition Tab, then Format type... MacOS Extended Journalled, select the Security Options button, choose Zero Out Data one pass, then click on Erase
You could try going in to a nearby Genius Bar if that's possible, they may be able to install 10.5 for you

Reaction score
Ah, it would appear that I have grey discs - thanks!!

Will acquire the proper equipment and hopefully all goes smoothly.

Thanks again!!

Ask a Question