Cannot fix Mackeeper virus

Reaction score
So I was dumb enough to install and give Mackeeper a whirl. It did not barrage my notebook with ads, instead it hijacked my mouse so it wouldn't respond (like I was fighting with someone else for control) and my desktop would go back and forth between the dashboard screen erratically. I removed MacKeeper and associated files per instructions I found on other threads here (got the library files, cleared the keychain, activity monitor, uninstalled, empty trash, ran adwaremedic with zero results). This helped the problem, but it pops up again after around 15-20 minutes of use. So it seems like there may have been a virus delivered with it. Should I download something and run a scan or just take it into a genius bar? If the former, please recommend a product. Thanks!

Reaction score
It said it didn't find any malware or adware, but I haven't had any issues since the day I posted this, so I think everything is ok. I tried Mackeeper because my mac is running slow and I want to clean it up. Can you recommend a product for that?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't see that you had already run AdwareMedic. ;)

I am glad to hear the issue seems to be resolved. I don't really recommend any third-party all-in-one utilities like MacKeeper, as they actually do more harm than good.

My suggestions to keep your Mac running well:
-Install all OS X updates when they are released
-Repair disk permissions monthly using Disk Utility
-Calibrate your portable Mac's battery: OS X Mavericks: Calibrate the battery in a portable Mac
-Keep at least 10-20% of your hard drive space free
-Most third-party browser toolbars and system extensions cause a lot of slowness, so stay away from them
-Don't install anything that you are not sure of - feel free to ask us

That's really all that is required. If you have issues, please ask here before trying suggestions that you find in random places on the Internet. You can always visit an Apple Store and have them run a hardware diagnostic.

C

Ask a Question