Apple blocking Snow Leopard?

Seanog

Reaction score
Mid 2007 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo White MacBook. I Have been running OS X.7(Lion) quite happily for a while now but someone used it and I decided to reinstall the OS. I started with OS X.5.1, then OS X.6, then OS X.6.3. All seem to load Ok, some saying "Installation successful", but when it starts talking to Apple it locks up. It was working fine yesterday. Has Apple put the block on these OS's? They are all Original Apple DVD's

Ad

Advertisements

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Apple hasn't blocked any version of Mac OS X/macOS that I know of. I assume you connected to your Wi-Fi during setup? Do you have an Ethernet cable and connection you could try?

C

Seanog

Reaction score
Yes, wifi working fine. It connects to wifi Ok and then you must give a name and it is then "Creating your account" that it hangs. Once or twice have got all the Icons on the screen, but when I try to open an App, the machine hangs.
With X.6 I got "Connecting to Apple" then "Choose photo", then Spinning ball.
Seems to vary when it hans but always when connecting to Apple

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK.

It sounds a bit like there may be hardware issue, like a failing hard drive. As a point of clarification..you mentioned you tried "OS X.5.1, then OS X.6, then OS X.6.3". Do they all hang when creating the account? Do you have an external drive you could try the install on to see if the issue happens at the same point?

C

Seanog

Reaction score
Yes, tried them all with a Clean install every time. Also tried OS 6 from a USB but same result. Don't think it's a hardware issue cause I was using it every day with no problems till I tried to reinstall the OS. It has a 120gb ssd. Will try with external drive

Seanog

Reaction score
Strange. I have another white MacBook, 1.83ghz Core Duo, 2gb ram. Tried installing OS X.4.9(The 2 set Grey Disks). Installs Ok, asks a lot of info, then when it starts sending this info to Apple..........spinning ball.

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Seanog

Reaction score
Have got OS10.5.1 installed on the 2.16ghz. machine. It goes through the flashy introductions, so it's installed OK, but when you give your info in and it's "talking to Apple", it locks up. Which is prettymuch the same for all the OSs. Cannot get it to recognise any OS DVD from an external drive.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm..this is very strange.

-Is it fully freezing, or can you move the mouse/use keyboard input?
-How long are you letting it sit in that state?
-Do you have third-party RAM installed?

C

Seanog

Reaction score
Hmmm..this is very strange.

-Is it fully freezing, or can you move the mouse/use keyboard input?
-How long are you letting it sit in that state?
-Do you have third-party RAM installed?

C
I am staying with the 2.16ghz machine and OS 6 as its getting very confusing. DVD loads Ok, as for lLanguage, Keyboard layout, wifi, etc. Then it comes to Personal Info. I can skip the 1st. screen with CMD + Q but the next screen asking for a name you cannot pass until you enter a name. I give a name in then "setting up your computer" and a small ball(not the coloured ball) starts spinning. I leave it and after a few minutes the screen goes Black and the only thing to do is to power with the on/off key.
It will not recognise and external drive.
Have used a USB boot but the result is the same.

Seanog

Reaction score
Ok, took the HD & SSD and connected them to my iMac , they tested Ok, no faults. Reinstalled drives and have now got to the stage where everything looks Ok until you try and do something. Open Safari and it loads Apple's latest offering & then promptly locks up.
I saw a 2007 2.16 selling as scrap on ebay but the seller assured me that the OS worked Ok. It just arrived.......and guess what. Yes it loads just like the other 2 then locks up.
Going nuts.

Ad

Advertisements

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I forgot to ask - what is the Mac OS X install media you are using?

C

Ask a Question