Powermac G5 - can't install OS

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help.

So I'm from the dark side (PC) and have pretty much no Mac experience.

I picked up a G5 last week from the local pawnbrokers, they said it 'wouldn't stay on' but it wasn't booting. I checked the RAM and it was in the wrong slots, reseated it and it boots fine now.

The problem is I cannot get the machine to boot from CD to start the install of OS X at all... I've tried two different burned DVD's, two different DVD drives, different hard drives etc, I'm at my wits end. I've downloaded the latest version the G5 can take.

The only screens I can get to either show the missing file folder question mark screen or if holding Alt on startup, I get to a screen with a circular arrow and an arrow pointing right, and neither option does anything.

Really keen to get this set up and explore the world of Mac, am I missing anything really obvious?

Thanks.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Have a look on the underside of the G5's stand for model identifying information. Then we'll take it from there.

for the serial number and machine specs: on an iMac G5 and Intel, look on the bottom of the stand

Reaction score
Hi,

It's an A1177 model, serial is CK623015UV0

The only changes to the original spec as far as I'm aware is an upgrade to 5GB RAM and a 250GB drive I popped in as the hard drive was missing when I bought it.

Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Nice blast from the past there with the G5! From the serial number, that Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) will take a minimum of Mac OS X 10.4.2/4 Tiger, and maximum of Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard.

-What version(s) of OS X are on the install DVDs?
-Where are the burned install DVDs from - how were they created?
-Where did you download "the latest version the G5 can take."?
-What brand/model are the DVD drives you are using - and, are they internal or external?
-What size/capacity are the RAM DIMMs and what slots are they installed in?

Those models were somewhat finicky at times with install media, so we'll see if we can get you up and running.

C

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks! Yes I accept it's not the newest model, but for 10 quid seemed worth the punt! ;)

The DVD's were both ISO's of OSX 10.5.8.

Both DVD drives are internal models - one is a LG GSA H42LN (the second drive I tried), and the original drive (I assume, as it has the caddy/fixings and Apple logo on it) is a H&L GSA H11N. I read that the G5 can't boot from an external CD drive either.

The RAM is a pair of 512's and two pairs of matched 1GB's. When I got the machine originally it wouldn't boot as the RAM was in the wrong sockets.

I should point out as well, I'm using a standard PC keyboard and mouse, as I just got the tower on its own.
As I understand it, it's a funny model being a late PowerPC, in that it uses the C19 power cable too?

What would the rough value be if it was all fully working - I run an IT company but we just deal with PC's on the whole so I've no real idea what it's worth.

Thanks in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
;)

I would try a single pair of DIMMs in the innermost slots - i.e. bottom of top bank and top of bottom bank. Leopard only requires 512 MB of RAM, so it doesn't matter which pair, as long as they are matched. If you have two sticks of genuine Apple RAM, use those.

Use the H&L "Apple" optical drive to attempt to install from.

Once the disc is inserted, restart or power on and hold the Alt key (equivalent of the Option key on a Mac) on the keyboard until you see the Startup manager - should show icon of install disc. You can also try holding the X key, as that will search for a bootable copy of OS X.

The Windows key is the same as the Command key on a Mac keyboard.

Yes, I believe the C19 is correct.

Depending on the buyer, a fully working Late 2005 G5 is worth around $100-200 USD.

C

Reaction score
Hi

Still no joy with this unfortunately. The DVD spins up real fast but it still won't boot using either the C or X key. All I'm still able to do is hold the option key and get to the sub-menu with the two arrows, but no CD is showing in there with either disc or drive installed.

Is there anywhere to get OSX for free, or is eBay etc my best bet? The only other thing I can think is both copies of OSX are corrupt, or possibly drive incompatibility with DVD+-R discs being used (both DVD's are totally blank)?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sounds like the discs themselves may be the issue. You may be able to visit your local Apple Store. Even though your G5 is no longer supported, they should be able to get Leopard installed for you.

You could source a retail copy of Leopard from numerous places online. Just make sure it is a retail disc with the black X and purple art, and not a machine-specific OEM disc with a gray background and white writing.

C

Ask a Question