PowerMac G5 Firewire issues

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm having bother with my firewire ports on my G5 Mac. I'm trying to use an MAudio Profire 2626. I have re-installed the drivers countless times. I have reset the PRAM, I have reset the NVRAM, I have reste the SMU. I have put in a third party Firewire PCI card. I have also re-installed the OS X 10.05.8 combo update, still no Joy.

The device is recognised by other machines. Can anyone suggest anything to help please?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Are you using it as a stand-alone sound card or with Pro Tools?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
As in Figure 53 QLab?

-Does it even show up in the Sound preference pane or the FireWire tab of System Information?
-Have you tried multiple FireWire cables?
-Do other FireWire devices work properly?
Is the ProFire powered on before powering on the G5?
-Did you hot plug it by any chance? That is not recommended by M-Audio.
-Have you tried unplugging everything, including power cable, letting G5 sit for 15 mins or so, then trying it again (this resets FireWire bus).

C

Reaction score
As in Figure 53 QLab? Yes

-Does it even show up in the Sound preference pane or the FireWire tab of System Information? No
-Have you tried multiple FireWire cables? Yes
-Do other FireWire devices work properly? I don't have any others to try
Is the ProFire powered on before powering on the G5? Yes
-Did you hot plug it by any chance? That is not recommended by M-Audio. It may have been done once by accident but not usually
-Have you tried unplugging everything, including power cable, letting G5 sit for 15 mins or so, then trying it again (this resets FireWire bus).Yes

I'm a tad baffled by this. Only other thing I've noticed is in the System profile it recognises the firewire bus speeds but shows them as unkown devices

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Do you have any friends that have a FireWire HD or something to test the ports with?

C

Reaction score
Sounds like the FireWire port fuse is blown.

Shut down, Unplug everything, Remove the Power Cable from both the Mac and the Wall.
Wait 10+ minutes.
Before you power up, replug the FireWire, then the Mac Power.
Power up the Mac.

Ask a Question