Quicktime MOV from PowerMac 8500/180

Reaction score
My PowerMac 8500/180 has long since gone. I have a short Quicktime video clip (8.5MB) that I created with it around 2001 that I would really like to see again but I don't have the hardware or codecs to convert it to an mp4.

The clip is of my two sons when they were five and six years old driving their toy jeep in the snow at my parent's home. My eldest son died this year aged 21. Can anyone help convert this clip for me? Do you have a PowerMac 8500/180 with on-board SVHS video capture hardware?

Reaction score
What Mac OS are you using now? And what Mac model do you have?

Handbrake is an excellent freeware application that can be used for conversions. It is available from here:

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

I have used it before, and it works very well.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I suspect that the MOV file has a hardware specific encoding for the 8500/180 as I haven't been able to convert it on my in-law's modern Mac. I have been using Ubuntu since 2009 as my primary OS and I haven't been able to find anything to convert this clip on a New-World Mac, WindowsXX, Linux or FreeBSD.

My 8500/180 developed a hardware fault with the on-board Apple graphics system a few years after I made the video clip. I installed a PCI Matrox Millenium in the Mac and continued to use it for a year or so but I couldn't play any of my Quicktime movies which is why I think it is a hardware dependency.

In 2001 I still had a Windows95 based editing machine that had a 'FAST/// FpS60' capture card. I used this machine back-in-the day with Adobe Premiere 4.2 to produce Quicktime MOVies that would play on Windows and Mac. However, the Quicktime MOVies that I made on my 8500/180 with the Apple supplied software didn't play on Apple's Windows95 Quicktime player. At the time I assumed this was due to a codec in MacOS that was unavailable on Windows.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

My sincerest condolences for your loss.

I have numerous older Macs here. I may be able to convert it for you, if you have a digital QuickTime file.

Send me a private message, and we'll work out how to transfer it. Do you have an iCloud Drive, Google Drive, or Dropbox account you could upload it to?

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory. I have been trying to send you a PM but the rules about URLs have been blocking me. Hopefully, this post will release the lock. I will try again.

Ask a Question