QuickTime and iMovie .mpg support

Reaction score
Re: Complete Uninstall of Photoshop

Does anybody know of a way to make quicktime and iMovie support .mpg files from my Sony camcorder. I am using VLC to view the files but would like to edit them in iMovie to do a collage of various bits.

Reaction score
Thanks Spawn. A couple more options would be to export the movie as an mpeg-1 or mpeg-4 using either Handbrake or VLC Player. :D

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I've never exported anything using VLC but I just had a quick look around and found this:

I hadn't seen that before and presume this is where you configure up the export settings. Does the exporting happen here too as i can't seem to find that option?

Reaction score
I've never exported anything using VLC but I just had a quick look around and found this:

I hadn't seen that before and presume this is where you configure up the export settings. Does the exporting happen here too as i can't seem to find that option?

Yep, of course you can choose the browse button to choose a movie file as well and then click the OK button.

Reaction score
Re: Complete Uninstall of Photoshop

Does anybody know of a way to make quicktime and iMovie support .mpg files from my Sony camcorder. I am using VLC to view the files but would like to edit them in iMovie to do a collage of various bits.

Usually, iMovie does allow the import of MPEG files. However, if MPEG (MPG) files are muxed (multiplexed) MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video, iMovie will refuse to import the MPEG (MPG) files. Then you need to use some converter software to convert MPEG to iMovie compatible format for use in your iMovie project.

• Why iMovie refuses to import muxed MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video clips?
    • According to Apple support, when files are muxed, they contain interleaved audio and video tracks (they're mixed together instead of stored in separate tracks). Because of this, iMovie cannot support them. Check for more info: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1372.
  • How to find if a MPEG file is muxed?
    • Open the original movie file in QuickTime Player.
    • From the Window menu, chose Show Movie Inspector.
    • Note the entry next to "Format".

Reaction score
The encodings you needed to buy the Apple plugin for are now included in Lion 10.7.

Reaction score
Though it is a old question, Quicktime and iMovie still does not suppport mpg. To import MPG to iMovie, QuickTime, iTunes, it is better to convert mpg to mp4 or MOV.
I use iDealshare VideoGo to achieve this need.

I also use it to convert mpg to apple prores

Ask a Question