Blank Windows and more...

Reaction score
Help!!

I'm starting to loose my mind over some reoccurring issues, that I can't help, but think are linked. Here's what's going on...

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012) running macOS Sierra (10.12.6). All at once, I find that some applications (specifically Plogue Sforzando) will open with blank windows (even though the functionality is still there, if you click in the right spots), Photos will refuse to launch, videos opened in QuickTime Player 7 (which I still insist on using) will be white, and Adobe Premiere CC 2018 will suddenly decide that it can't find any capable video play modules. Also, Preview and Finder's "quick view" function will become incredibly laggy. All of these problems temporarily disappear after a full restart.

This issue is specific to this computer (even when switching users). All of these applications (except for QuckTime Player 7, which isn't installed) work flawlessly on my iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015), also running macOS Sierra (10.12.6).

If someone could help me solve just ONE of these issues, then I will be a happy man!

Thank you!

-Michael

Blank Window.jpgBlank Save Window.jpgBlank Quicktime Window.jpgAdobe Alert.jpg

Image Examples: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-PcKvpGaFAVe2-5Ym86kzfjfqQk4U8P4?usp=sharing

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am not familiar with Plogue Sforzando.

The issue sounds like it may be part of macOS Sierra is corrupted, or you have some other software installed that is interfering.

Do you have a Time Machine or other backup? If so, you could try reinstalling Sierra over the top of your current install. Don't attempt this without a current backup however, in case something goes wrong.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am not familiar with Plogue Sforzando.

The issue sounds like it may be part of macOS Sierra is corrupted, or you have some other software installed that is interfering.

Do you have a Time Machine or other backup? If so, you could try reinstalling Sierra over the top of your current install. Don't attempt this without a current backup however, in case something goes wrong.

C

I wiped my computer, reinstalled the Sierra, and then restored all the files and such via Time Machine. This apparently didn't not fix the problem, since I'm still getting blank windows in certain apps (I attached a new example of the save window, from Audacity).

Thank you for the suggestion, though.

-Michael

Audacity_Blank Window.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Sorry you went to all that trouble. I wanted you to simply reinstall Sierra over the top of your current installation , so you didn't have to wipe and restore.

But, since you did, you know it's something already there. There must be some software causing the issue. It's not an issue I have seen to that extent, so I would look at any third-party apps, antivirus, etc. next.

You could also create another user on the Mac, login to it, and see if the issue persists. If so, then it is something in your user.

C

Reaction score
No worries.

Sorry you went to all that trouble. I wanted you to simply reinstall Sierra over the top of your current installation , so you didn't have to wipe and restore.

But, since you did, you know it's something already there. There must be some software causing the issue. It's not an issue I have seen to that extent, so I would look at any third-party apps, antivirus, etc. next.

You could also create another user on the Mac, login to it, and see if the issue persists. If so, then it is something in your user.

C

Well I figured I would just go all the way.

The problem does persist in other users.

I will continue to investigate the problem.

-Michael

Ask a Question