blank "icon" file in dock folder display

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 8.10.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 8.04.01 PM copy.jpg

This is the same folder on my computer - a shared dropbox folder with my friend. It's in the dock, and when you click on it, there is a blank "icon" file that shows up. It's not in the actual folder though, which makes me think it has something to do with the icon of the folder's picture in the dock. When you try to move the file to the trash, it disappears, but upon rebooting, it shows up again. One time when I deleted it, a blank folder in the dock appeared in place of the icon that was there before (the default shared folder dropbox icon), which isn't desirable either. I know it's not really that big of a deal, but it just bugs me because it doesn't look very good in the pop-up folder display from the dock. Is there any way to get rid of this and make it not come back? It never used to do this before, but it started happening recently and I haven't found a way to get rid of it. Does anyone know what's going on?

Thank you!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
if the Dropbox folder is shared, who owns it? Do you? Are you using custom folder icons?

Reaction score
my friend is the owner, but he says that he has the same problem, with the icon file not being hidden. We did some research and found that there's actually a hidden file named icon within every folder that details its icon, but for some reason whenever dropbox loads up, it resets whatever we change the picture of our shared folder to back to the default (pictured), and with it comes the unhidden icon file.
Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 10.25.44 PM.png
I'm not really sure what to do.

If you go here:

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/
That's where the default system icons are stored. The folder that it keeps defaulting to is actually the same as what is listed as a "sharepoint" folder under there. I'm wondering if each time dropbox loads up, it's sending a message that the folder needs to be the default system sharepoint folder, and then it changes it and causes some problem with the hidden icon file. I just really wish I knew what was going on - this is bugging me more than it would other people just because I'm such a neat freak, but it would be nice to figure out what is actually going on, and why the unhidden icon file keeps popping up each time the computer and dropbox are restarted.

Ask a Question